anything as good as NOD32 and ewido?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by synapse, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synapse

synapse Registered Member

hey guys, is there ne one here that knows ne thing that can put up a good fight against NOD32 and Ewido (im a proud owner of two, but must have an ooo **** scanner) with a good real time scanner and low resources ? thanks alot

- synapse

ooo and some guy on suprnova.org forums said that F-Secure is the best, better then NOD32 and ewido, ne one have a say on that?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

about one being better than the other rather subjective. Depending on you system they will all act differently. I personally have used nod,f-prot and mcafee, Kav and norton. At the present I use Panda platinum 7 and in my opinion it is as good as any av on the market. but the antivirus you ought to use is one that you have trialed and seen how well it works on your system. If you find one that works well for you and you happen to like it then that is the one you need to use. and as far as antispyware and antitrojan software goes there are a lot of them available. One of the best is TDS3 another is adaware se and then there is spybot search and destroy. As I stated it is a little subjective.I could tell you everything I use for security on my machine but it might not work as well on yours or it could even work better. You really have to try them for your self and see how they work for you. Most of the security apps available have a trial version that you can try. I hope this was some help to you.

bigc

3. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

NOD32, Ewido, & Process Guard...
    F-Prot, BoClean, & Process Guard...
    McAfee, Ewido, & Process Guard...
    Kaspersky & Tiny Firewall...
    NOD32, TDS-3, & SSM...
    The combinations are endless. I totally agree with bigc that subjective is the key word. If NOD32 & Ewido work for you, stick with it because that's damn good protection. As long as you also have a firewall in place as well, you have more protection that a lot of PC users that are out there. Of course, your internet/computing habits are key in the level of security required to protect you.
    About F-Secure, it is a top notch antivirus, I'm sure most would agree on that, but the resource usage will be considerably more than NOD32. You need to balance your priorities if choosing between the two.

4. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I suggest Kaspersky with all available definitions as an on-demand scanner only.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Excellent advice from bigc as usual, I have used all the AVs bigc has except f-prot and they are all good if they work on your system and meet your needs. I also like Panda as bigc does and used it for two years, currently I favor NOD due to some philosophical differences with Panda, and it doesn't work on every system. As to your original comparison of F-secure to NOD and Ewido, I haven't seen any of the two engine scanners produce that much greater percentages than single engine scanners that would justify the additional performance hit to your system. Yes F-secure is a great AV but it isn't that much better than using KAV alone, and it had a much larger slowdown on my system and it's updater uses Backweb which Pest Patrol,Adaware and Spybot all detect as spyware or a security vulnerability. Nod is an excellent AV but it is not for everybody. Some people are better served by KAV due to surfing habits and so forth, others are better helped by Norton or McAfee or Trend Micro for the hand holding as they do not wish to delve into what they see as complicated settings and overall management. Some people just want to use their computers to email, surf and pay the bills and don't wish to monitor all this security software they want it to do what it is supposed to do with minimal tinkering if you will. As bigc said in much fewer words than I, download the trials until you find one that suits your needs and stick with it until your needs or desires change.

6. synapse

lol look at what this guy says...... and thanks for your comments

Attached Files:

• hah.GIF
      hah.GIF
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

During the latest Bagle attack/incident whatever you wish to call it, there were only 2 AV products that stopped all three variations without definition updates, they did it heuristically, they were; any Panda product using Tru Prevent and NOD32. KAV and F-Secure needed an update to detect them. So I guess NOD's heuristics isn't such crap after all. As for the trojan situation it is improving everyday and in reference to this particular thread, Ewido would have the trojan side covered anyway. Another advantage to using the NOD and Ewido approach is that you don't leave all your eggs in one basket, even if somehow one or the other get shut down or crash the other is still capable of performing the tasks of the other although not to quite the same level. Whereas if you were using KAV or F-Secure and they crashed you would be totally vulnerable. This is an inherent advantage to using a layered approach.

8. synapse

thanks, posted on the suprnova forums, teach that guy a lesson :p

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To flyrfan111 from Firefigher!

NOD has maybe the best configurable av, even the heuristics is able to scan only. That's why I have scanned some 3 weeks ago my 3008 infected samples by NOD32_2.12.3 with AH including deepest heuristics but without signatures.

trojan like malware:

23.0 % = 225/978 backdoor & trojan

11.4 % = 10/88 trojandropper

20.0 % = 7/35 trojanspy

====================

script like malware:

88.6 % = 209/236 macro

40.5 % = 53/131 VBS

====================

viruses:

42.9 % = 18/42 other virus

40.2 % = 127/316 win32

42.0 % = 294/700 worm

====================

riskware:

23.4 % = 15/64 constructor

====================

only very poor against BAT scripts, exploits and trojandownloaders,

_3.3 % = 3/90 BAT

_2.9 % = 2/70 exploit

_1.5 % = 1/68 trojandownloader

I just couldn't expect over 88 % detecting rate against macros.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Very interesting Firefighter, but what does it do with Sigs only and no heuristics? In other words if the heuristics were just finding things the Sigs were going to get anyway it wouldn't be very impressive.

That is why I prefer to see results for the whole package rather than just part of it.

By the by, has anyone thought of testing AVs and ATs in combination to see how well they work together? I'm thinking that if you tried AntiVir combined with Ewido you might have a good defensive system at a reasonable price!

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I use Ewido with NOD32 and they work great together. I cannot speak for any other AT though.

12. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Yes, if your going to pay for both your AV & AT you can get the best.

But I was thinking that since AntiVir is free and good with viruses and scripts but weaker on trojans, maybe if you combined it with Ewido, which is good with trojans, and reasonably priced, you could get protection comparable with a more expensive AV but at a modest outlay.

A sort of cost effective compromise for those who can't justify paying for a top notch AV but who want to be well covered. :-*

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

If I felt real good about a free AV. I would use my $$ to buy BoClean. Or if I were to buy NOD32 then I would go for a free AT scanner. Of course all this is on the assumption that you can not or will not be able to pay for both good AT and AVs.

14. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I would buy a good AV first which would stop most trojans anyway. AT would have to have something extra b4 I plunk my money down

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Why "NOD people" are always talking about NOD's ability to detect worms with AH, when it seems to be superior in macro heuristics? I have not seen any threads about NOD's macro heuristics.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.