Anyone using the latest version of RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone is using the latest version of RollBack Rx as well as the new DriveCloner. I had purchased a licence for the previous version of RB just before the current one came out and I have about 3 weeks to upgrade for free. Before I do I would like to know how well the program is performing (is it very buggy?). I also am curious how the new imaging program is performing (can you set it to do automatic backups or do you have to manually run this as is the case with the older version of RB?).

Before you say to try it if its free I was told by Horizon that if I upgraded I would have to activate my licence within the 60 day window of my purchase and that once it had been activated I would not be able to go back to the older program.

Thanks

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I am :D

Uninstalled v8.1, rebooted and installed v9, taking care to carefully read AND follow the instruction provided by HDS...that is very important especially selecting the baseline to use at uninstall time! No issues experienced and so far has been running fine...just as v8.1 did. Only thing that I have noticed is that the boot delay has come down. For me by only 15 secs, ie, down from 2mins to 1min 45secs, but for others where the delay was smaller a 15 sec reduction has a bigger impact

As far as I can see nothing has changed form the fucntionality that was part of v8.1. And you still have to go manual. As far as I understand this version is just a split out from RB Rx with little functional change...but is apparently the starting point for a development process to try to build a rival to the current leaders in this area.

Obviously it is difficult and dangerous to say 'yeah go ahead, no problems' as I think that will depend on how the software plays with your rig but from my experience v8.1 worked well and so does v9. Make of that what you will...you can, and in this case I would recommend that you do...image your disk BEFORE uninstalling/installing.

Hope this helps.

Bon chance with whatever you decide. :D

3. bgoodman4

Thanks for the reply Baldrick. From what I understand there was not much in the way of changes to the non-enterprise users version of the program, if things are basically all the same perhaps there is no real point to upgrading. The ability to schedule backup images is really what I am after.

4. Baldrick

True, if that is all you are after but personaly I like to be up to date with software when it is so mission critical. And after all RB Rx v9 & Drive Cloner Rx will be the version that are improved whilst v8.1 is what it is now and always will be.

To my mind, in your position of having purchased less than 60 days ago, it is a no brainer...I would go with the upgrade.

;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  5. bgoodman4

Thanks for the advice, I will wait a bit longer to see if anyone else is using it without problems. If they are I will def upgrade. Hopefully a few more will post with their experiences. If none do I guess I will just "do it" since you have not had a problem. It would be nice if I had the option to go back to the older version if I was having a problem though. Unfortunately Horizon says no.

6. Baldrick

Just a thought...perhaps a silly one but if you really want to have the option of going back to v8.1 and your personal finances allow you why not just purchase the upgrade to v9, ie, 50% off plus a free license for Drive Cloner Rx? Licenses are perpetual and as you will have purchased both you will have the flexibility (you could even use v8.1 on another PC if you have one and v9 on your main rig)?

As I said, depending on personal financnes, it is an option?

:D

7. bgoodman4

That's a good idea, I will keep it in mind. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.