Anyone using JanusPA hardware? What is your review?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

I saw this webpage: Anonymize Your Web Traffic with JanusPA.

Note: JanusPA is a hardware privacy adapter using squid, privoxy and Tor, and works with OpenVPN, and also Kyle Williams has been involved. It no longer uses Gumstix, but Yoggie is now the hardware manufacturer. It connects between your router and computer.

Ref: JanusVM, and JanusPA.
    Cost is $150/USA orders; $200/International orders

I wonder how this compares to the hardware that SteveTX was previously talking about for Xerobank, or whether this is it, or a competitive solution?

-- Tom

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I assume it's the same thing. they are both created by the same guy. Kyle Williams

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I would say this hardware is not legal in the UK.

4. caspian

Is a VPN not legal in the UK? Because that's all the cryptorouter does.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm not sure Crypt anything is going to be legal in the UK before long lol. Yell.. i do believe a VPN is legal in the UK, but who knows about the hardware. The thing about law is there are too many fine gray lines. I don't know much about the law in UK though. Just what i read in the media.

6. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

You might be right, as from what I read in the media UK is anything but a free country when it comes to any form of privacy. However, banning encryption completely is a bit hard, because that would force online shops not to use encryption - which would be problematic at least.

7. caspian

The only thing that I have read about encryption in the UK is that if you have an encrypted file and the police have a warrant for you to open it, you best do so because they will throw you in jail otherwise.

But surely businesses are using encryption. And the hardware device just facilitates the VPN connection. It does nothing more from what I understand.

8. armylog

armylog Registered Member

I just ordered one a few days ago. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's the best way to run all the computers in my house through the same OpenVPN services.

Cheers

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree. While privacy is under fire from every direction in the UK (and elsewhere for that matter), encryption is becoming too ubiqutous to outright ban. Every magazine from Redbook, PC World, The Economist and Reader's Digest are telling people to use encryption to protect their data from theives. Outright banning of encryption is a no-go and is impractical at this point. The RIP laws in the UK are bad and proving to be a drain on LE, but I'm with Caspian on this, that's really the only law regarding encryption.

10. LockBox

You ordered a Cryptorouter or something similar? I didn't know that they were available for personal purchase yet. Please tell!

11. armylog

armylog Registered Member

I ordered the JanusPA - it's the inline tor / openvpn firewall type device mentioned in the subject of this. I currently use Perfect Privacy on each computer in my network. This will allow me to run all computer in my network through the device.

12. LockBox

Yes, sorry. My head's somewhere else today. I'm guessing it's the same thing as the Cryptorouter. As Caspian pointed out, Kyle Williams is involved with both. Good to see it up and available!

13. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

JanusPA is the beta project for the XeroBank Cryptorouter privacy adapter for personal clients. I think it currently is capable of about 5Mbps of crypto. Current clients are beta for feedback and testing. When we finish the code and interface and functions the XB version will be released and all the content should be moved over to XeroBank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.