Anyone using Avant still?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I use IE9 from time to time but it's features are extraordinarily underwhelming. Is anyone using Avant? If so, any comments about it? Is it trustworthy and adware free? Also, what about performance such as loading time and web browsing? Are there any plug in or add ons which can be added to Avant such as WOT or some other web page scanner (real time or historical ratings). I see in some comments on softpedia that Avant uses a dual core engine (FF and IE) and that FF add ons can be used...is that right?
    thanks

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

I'm assuming these screen shots are up to date - http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Avant-Browser-Screenshot-5990.html

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Use Firefox with the IE Tab and you never have to use those crappy browsers anymore

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't used Avant for a while opting for Maxthon instead which I feel has surpassed it. I would recommend you try Maxthon 3 as an alternative to IE. Look here:

http://www.maxthon.com/mx3/

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Unfortunately more and more good software is being wrapped in crapware bundles. I feel it's worth the effort to pick my way carefully through the rubbish so I can keep using the good stuff.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I use Orca, which is a predecessor of the current Avant as my main browser. Avant and Orca were two seperate browsers - with Avant using Internet Explorer's engine and Orca using Firefox's. But the 2012 release of Avant merges both together. While Orca is no longer devleoped, I prefer it because of lower RAM usage. I prefer Orca and Avant to the major alternatives such as IE, FireFox and Chrome because I can configure it to work how I want without installing any addons.

Another big benefit of Orca/Avant (and even Maxthon) is that your settings are saved online, and if you install them on another computer they will retreive your saved settings. For example I have Orca customized so that I can do a YouTube search (in a new tab) by simply entering "y" followed by what I want to search for in the address bar. Also I can do a Google search by using "g" instead of "y", or do a Google search for pages in Australia by using "ga". Now the really neat thing is that I can install Orca or Avant on another computer, and when I enter my Orca/Avant account settings (the same data is used by both browsers) it will download my customized settings.

As for Maxthon which some posters have mentioned, I have been using in on and off as my primary browser for some time now. However after the upgrading to the latest release a few weeks back, it did not retain my customised preferences - so I will no longer use it.

And yes, Avant is adware free and is fast. You should be able to use Firefox addons I believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.