Anyone using applocker on their Win7 desktop pc?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JohnnyDollar, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I have read a little about applocker for windows 7 as a whitelisting application designed for IT using group policy. What about a single user pc? Anyone using it now on single pc? If so, how well is it working?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.10.77windows.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/windows-7/features.aspx#applocker

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

All the security gurus in this forum and no one has anything to say about this or any experience using this?

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

dont need it, so i dont use it :doubt:

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I am a Linux guy, but I did setup AppLocker on a fresh Win 7 install on my mother's machine the other day. First I set her up with a LUA (did NOT give her admin password) and then turned DEP on for all programs. Then I enabled AppLocker for both .exe's and scripts (but not Windows installer files). I have white listed all M$, Google, and Mozilla products (by the crypto signature of each company). Any software not signed by these companies will not be allowed to install or run. Essentially this makes the machine like a sandbox. If she needs to install a program (which is rare) she can call me and ask me for the password. And since I didn't block windows installer files, she wont need to adjust AppLocker before she does install a program -- all she will need is the admin password. With LUA+DEP+AppLocker, her machine should be quite secure. I did not install any AV because it is a waste of time with the setup she now has. (You might ask why I didn't just install Linux on her machine. Good question. The reason is that her VOIP service requires Windows. Otherwise, I would totally wipe out Windows and install a Linux distro).

I haven't used Windows full-time in a number of years, and hence have never used SRP, but from my understanding, AppLocker is like a much improved SRP. From my reading, SRP had some "loop-holes" that allowed it to be bypassed in certain circumstances. These have apparently been fixed with AppLocker. The only thing that sucks is that AppLocker is only available on Pro and Ultimate, which means most people will never get to use it -- not that they would anyway.

At any rate, I asked this same "Anyone using AppLocker" question at another security forum and also heard nothing but crickets chirp. No one seemed to know WTH I was talking about, which is sad for a security forum. I have learned that most Windows security peeps are still living in the obsolete world of AV software and know nothing else most of the time.

5. Creer

Creer Registered Member

The same here.

Anyways, Applocker is available only in Ultimate and Enterprise version of Windows 7.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not going to pay for the ultimate version just for applocker.
    I think they should of put it in pro tbh so small and med business could benefit from it to.

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Applocker is a great tool to use at work or on the home PC.

8. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Agree, but I use already another software which provide me protection on this level of security, and I don't want to extra pay MS for Ultimate version of W7 because simply I don't need it.

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:

10. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I was under the impression it was available for the pro edition as well, I see I was wrong. Well I guess I will not be using it then. That is a shame, it looks like a great tool even for a home user.

11. demonon

demonon Guest

I use SRP in windows xp and with vista home premium I can use srp with modifying the registry.
    I feel like buying windows 7 ultimate is too expensive and therefore I won't use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.