Anyone Use TumbleWeed or Gecko Rolling?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Jun 22, 2017.

1. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Just curious. I couldn't get Tumbleweed to install and ran Gecko for a few months - aside from some codecs and an added repo they are the same though Gecko has a better DE selection.

I needed to create a hotspot to share a connection for a home theater. Not allowed. Just an endless loop of enter password to allow and then not allowed. Searched their forums - OpenSuse and you get this hodgepodge of responses re several distros all branded opensuse but all very different. Several very convoluted answers leading me to believe there is some basic issue which will never be addressed. People must be familiar from many distros with this you'll search and find your question asked and either there is no answers or a series of me toos with no answers.

So on to another distro though once I can get another wired connection installed its back to Gecko. I really liked it.

This is where when people say Linux is so flexible - well I agree to a point but the distro hopping comes from dead ends in needs - this can't be done or that can't be done or we aren't going to do this or that or this DE isn't available as a stand alone though you can Frankenstein it by installing it on top of something else.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Gecko is openSUSE but with repos configured to provide a better out of the box experience for home users.

Tumbleweed is the rolling branch and Leap is the stable branch. If the desktop is not the latest version, you may need to
    add additional repos to get it done, particularly in Leap.

What's your favorite Linux DE? You didn't mention it.

3. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

I really only like Cinnamon. The Gecko I was using was the rolling release so really Tumbleweed. It's just that hotspot thing which you'd think would be dead simple. In general Network Manager and Network Manager related things seem to kind of messed up once you want to do anything out of the box. Even in RedHat I've seen long support discussions centered around network manager that will suddenly dead end like DNS-Trigger - long term plans for support then suddenly the conversation goes stone dead like you were monitoring a planet and their sun went super nova or something.

Gecko does a nice Cinnamon too pretty close to Mint ( it was running Cinn 3.4 before hotspot became an issue) you know but you get the latest kernel which works and it drove my RX-480 better than any other distro I tried too.

The Frankenstein thing with the DE results say from a distro, like Ubuntu w/Gnome DE where Cinnamon is installed afterwards. You end up with something that sort of looks like Cinnamon but has a whole lot of Gnome 3 components that don't belong like in a stolen car. Unity with Cinnamon on top was livable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.