Anyone use OcenAudio?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I just found out about this program as a good alternative to Audacity, but does anyone know if it supports FLAC?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

allizomeniz, I don't use this software, however, their latest Changelog refers to fixing a FLAC bug. Just FYI.

3. allizomeniz

Thanks mate. I didn't think to check the changelog. I'll have to give it a whirl.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

allizomeniz, you're welcome! Do post back your impressions of this software after testing it. Take care.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ allizomeniz

Hi, & Thanx for posting !

I'd never heard of it before, & as it "appears" to be good, so i'm going to try it out & see.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

7. allizomeniz

I tried it but didn't test it extensively. I didn't really like the waveform display. It's not easy to see where 0dB is like you can in Audacity. There appear to be other waveforms in Preferences but I couldn't get any of them to work. I may have been doing it wrong, I don't know. I couldn't find any way to view clipping. When I tried to export as FLAC there wasn't an obvious way to set the compression. There aren't as many built-in effects as in Audacity. From what I've read, it's designed to use VST plugins, so you probably have to obtain those separately and install them. The interface is a little flashier than Audacity. OcenAudio may be better in certain areas, but I still think overall Audacity's better. As I said, that's based on a very brief tryout.

8. CloneRanger

Tried it, not too bad, but several things are better with other Apps. Editing & looping are much better on Wavosaur, which is also FREE. The inbuilt effects are not Real Time, but quite quick.

VST is a Brilliant invention, & there are Thousands of Really good plugins, Lots which are FREE, not all good, but Plently that are. But to take full advantage of them in Real Time & visually etc, you really need software that can cope, eg Cubase.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

unfortunately, Wavosaur does not import FLAC.

10. CloneRanger

@ moontan

You could convert to .WAV

11. moontan

good idea m8!

another option is Sony SoundForge Pro trial.
    the full-featured trial has a 30 days limit and is full featured but a lot can be done with this. ;)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  12. CloneRanger

@ moontan

Thanx, i'll have a look etc @ SSF. I remember when it was just SoundForge, and as i had Cubase i never bothered with it.

13. moontan

it's full featured like I said but I much prefer working with Wavelab for audio editing.
    the workflow is much better, imo.

a full-featured 30 days trial for a 'light' version of Wavelab 8, called Wavelab 8 Elements, can be downloaded here:
    http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/trial.html

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  14. CloneRanger

@ moontan

Good for you :thumb: I got a free lite version of WaveLab included with Cubase. I found it easy to use & edit etc. Wavosaur is a close second IMO. Just like most other editors though, the effects are not Real Time. Nothing worse than having to wait to hear your changes. That's where Cubase & similar with VST really shine, as they are a LOT more than just editors.

I had a midi/audio studio @ home for about 10 years, & had tons of fun making lots of tracks/songs etc. Even went into some pro studios with different singers to record them. Nothing came of it though, that's da music biz for ya ! As i was moving on to other things anyway, i sold most of my kit. I still have my cubase & other associated soft licences, so ya never know i might install it all again one day ;)

But if it's just editing files without effects, then "some" of the ones mentioned in this thread should be fine for folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.