Anyone Use Keepass?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Although I don't use any of them right now, would Sandboxie, Defensewall, BufferZone, or GeSWall prevent it from working since it isolates the browser?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Prevent what from working? Keyloggers?
    On Sandboxie, I know you can prevent them with Internet Access or Start/Run Restrictions.

3. Brandonn2010

No, would a program like that prevent you from being able to drag the login name and password from KeePass to your browser.

4. Brandonn2010

Another question. I'm still not using Keepass because I'm just scared about having passwords so complex I can't remember them and must have Keepass working to log into anywhere. Anyway, my question is if passwords can be copied and pasted or dragged into games like Steam if I needed to log into it, or Company of Heroes, Battlefield, etc.

5. tlu

tlu Guest

I agree. However, there are other reservations which I addressed here and here. The problem described there is actually comparable to the Android apps disaster seen in the past months.

But we're getting OT - this thread is about Keepass.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

That's not justified - see here.

In general:

1. There is only encrypted data on the Lastpass servers. Encryption/decryption is done only on your computer.
    2. Your data is also stored on your computer in encrypted form and can be copied to a USB stick or whatever.

Consequences:
    1. If there is a data theft from their servers the thieves cannot use it unless your master password is very weak and prone to a dictionary attack.
    2. If the servers are offline or Lastpass is bankrupt you can still access the data on your harddisk via the plugin (but you can't change/add new data) - and you can still export it to, e.g. the Firefox password manager or to a csv file.

I see 3 advantages of Lastpass:

1. You have an additional (encrypted) copy of your login data on the Lastpass servers which adds security. Say, if your harddisk crashes and you don't have a backup available (or it's not up-to-date), just setup your system anew and install the Lastpass plugin in your browser, login with it in your Lastpass account - and a new encrypted local copy is immediately saved on your harddisk. It couldn't be easier.
    2. If you use different browsers, operating systems and/or a mobile phone there is no need to synchronize them manually. Just install the suitable plugin - ready!
    3. The automatic fill-in of login fields works better on several sites with Lastpass compared to, e.g., the FF password manager.

7. Brandonn2010

Okay, I have it all figured out. I can use Keepass 2 on my PC, and Keepass 1 on my USB, and just export the database to my USB drive in a format compatible with 1.x and it works fine.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.