Anyone try securewave or citirx

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RFC!, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

Hi Everyone.

I am a new member of this forum and wanted to get some feedback about something, I have done some googling and even searched other forums but so far no information or say details are available.

During a recent analysis and best practises review for a global bank in downtown NewYork I happened to be in a meeting with a consultant from Symantec. The bank is revewing their AV and desktop issues. The Symantec consultant was lecturing on issues regarding scans, 10 level deep and other tweaks in the latest AV ver 10 which in my opinon is doing a much better job then the previous ones.

During his talk he quickly mentioned that there is a company which if he mentioned or talked more about and if symantec found out that he had told us about that company it would not be a good thing cause this company is the the ultimate nightmare in competition.....

that was enough information for a person like me to start digging....but somehow being in the field of security I had not heard of it before and there are things as we all know that we have not heard of .......

The company is called securewave.com , their website is quite detailed and recently they partnered with citirx.com as well...

I want to know if there are real users out there who have their products and what do they say......

Symantec is getting on my nerves now and they are trying to sell us more stuff while they really do not have any real answers , they say that they have but they really do not, like a few days ago when wmf thing happened, them and qualys, which is another bogus product they announced that they have now signatures to look for the vulenrability, guess what when i asked them to educate me on what dll or exactly what are their scanners looking at when they scan in a windows pc to identify if that vuln exists, it was unbelievale what they said, well quals took 3 days to get back meanwhile MS announed a patch, and symantec never answered back the ticket was still open.....
    the answer what quals gave was that they just check for the os version, meaning they just fingerprint os and by just doing that stupid scan they announced that they had a QID, thats what they call their signatures, now as far as I remember there are atleast 100 signatures they have which all fingerprint os's i mean thats what they do best anyways,

so symantec is kinda off,

the purpose is not to bad mouth, ofcourse there are some things which these companies do better then many others but slowly and gradually they are moving into aquiring other businessess and not being the true service providers...

I am waiting for the old trend to return where we would develop inhouse solutions custom tailored to our own environments, with complete full spectrum command and control and job security ....

so if there is any one in here who has heard or knows anyone who has worked with them , all info is appreciated..

Thanks in advance and I am already learning a great deal in here ......

RFC!

2. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

Re: He said , symantec will kill him if they knew :)

that's a mighty long post for people to search through for a question....to get a better response, you may want to start another thread titled "anyone try securewave or citirx?".

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Lemme be the first to welcome you to Wilders! It is the best security forum on the web.

I have never used Sanctuary, but I do like it's approach. For too long we have spent too much time black listing threats after they pop up. What we should be doing is white listing the services that we do want.

A perfect example is Internet Explorer's security zones. Everyone puts bad sites in the "Restricted Zones" and sets the security to High. They then set the security of the "Internet" zone to medium. That's like putting a condem on after you have finished; it's stupid. The Internet zone should be set to High. The "Restricted Zone" should actually be a white list that gives limited use of sites that are known to be relatively safe.

4. Close_Hauled

How about just answering the mans question next time without being snide. Wilders is about helping people. If you wanna be a pinhead, go find another forum.

5. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

I am sorry for the long post, it just got longer the usual...but I wanted to let people know that I am a genuine user and not some marketing stunt, where I bad mouth one product and toot the other...I have seen this behaviour on some forums and wanted to avoid getting labeld as such...

RFC!

6. Close_Hauled

You have nothing to apologize for.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Welcome to Wilders RFC.

While thebigdintx does have a valid point about the thread Title....which I can change if you wish....I do hope We can simply move past the way in which thebigdintx presented his suggestion :blink:

Correct me if I am wrong RFC but you indeed are asking users experience securewave or citirx :doubt:

If so....I feel the suggestion about the thread title Anyone try securewave or citirx....would indeed serve you better to draw those users to this thread to assist you.

Regards,
    Bubba

8. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

Hi, thanks a million for the welcome..

I appreciate that.

I agree with you approach on whitelisting stuff and I also agree on the putting of the condom before the deeds, lol :)

RFC!

9. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Forgive me for my cynicism, but you are telling us a Symantec consultant said to a group of people in a business setting, that another company would be a "nightmare" basically because they are so good? If this, in fact, really happened - who would trust this person? He's saying that Symantec wouldn't WANT you to have something that might make you more secure. I'm sorry, but that's not a sales/marketing matrix that makes any sense from an individual being paid by Symantec as a consultant.

In a nutshell, I question your post here. I think its single purpose was to promote this Sanctuary product from Securewave. I hardly think Symantec is quaking in their boots over this little outfit with a program like dozens of others - and a program they themselves could write and market in fifteen minutes if they so desired.

Sorry for being suspicious and cynical, but it doesn't add up.

10. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

Thanks, please do so....

RFC!

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are very Welcome and it has been done.

Good luck

12. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

Hi,

this is "exactly" what I wanted to avoid when I was writing, I hate to see others do the same, where they bad mouth on company and good mouth the other. Your suspicion is ok cause there is this kinda feedback on the internet. But in my case I really want info on this by real time users. Conflict of interest by this consultant who actually works for a sub company out of virgina which is used by symantec.

but I dont know how to establish that i am not marketing or pulling or even drawing publics attention to something like securewave....I just want to know if anyone is really using it and if yes is it up to the task.

meanwhile I called up this consultant and asked him for user input and as earlier I tried to ask in other forums too but so far only this forum is responding back but unfortunately with unrealted information, instead of getting hands on feedback , hehe, i am getting flamed and labeld as something stupid, but rest assured I am not.

RFC!

13. securityx

securityx Registered Member

RFC,

I think the problem is that you didn't just ask if anyone was using the products, but you threw in this long story about how a Symantec consultant thought they are "nightmare competition" and all of that, and then had to go on to say that you didn't want to be accused of marketing, etc. A simple question concerning user experiences with the products would have avoided that, huh? And then the complaint that you are being flamed for something you were "trying to avoid" is suspect. Some would call it Marketing via Social Engineering.

14. houseisland

houseisland Registered Member

I worked with Citrix Metaframe 1.8 on NT 4.0 TSE for over five years.

It was a good product.

+:

Works extremely well over low bandwidth.

Reasonably secure.

Central administration of data and applications.

Can port files back and forth from client to host network.

Good for training remote users (can share user's desktop).

-:

Cost. Particularly cost of W2K/W2K3 Terminal Server licensing.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While I can see both sides of what's been posted so far and have no problem that the air was cleared....let's have a do over and attempt to help in the discussion concerning Securewave or Citirx. If need be RFC....we can start all over with a newer thread if you wish and bring this one to a close ?

Otherwise....I would like to ask those that come across this thread to comment concerning their experiences with securewave or citirx and Please leave the task of someone pulling someones leg to the Wilders Team members.

Bubba

16. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

yes, please, a new thread is good , this is causing unwanted confusions.....

RFC!

17. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

See, on a new forum, when posting one has to be really carefull and one need not sound like a freeloader or a abuser, keeping this ethic in mind I gave some background and then asked my questions..cause on forums sometimes people just blurt out questions and never do their own homework. I searched on this forum and did the regular googling as well and when all searches came unfullfilled, I had to ask this question here...but as I said, skeptisicm and suspicion aside , please forgive me for sounding like that which i never intended to...

hopefull i will be able to contribute here as well...and looking forward to, so can I request that we go the new thread and chat there .....

RFC!

18. RFC!

RFC! Registered Member

Request:

Kind moderators.

Please close this thread but leave it open for read only!

New Thread with the same header be opened.

RFC!

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Per your request this thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.