Anyone tried this free port scanner?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by HammerHead, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HammerHead

HammerHead Guest

Hello

Anyone tried this free program? It's called PC Super Scanner. It's supposed to scan all 65535 ports on your computer. I was just wondering if it's safe to try it, and whether or not it works. Thanks for any replies. You can check it out here: http://www.pcinternetpatrol.com/downloads/sscanner.php

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't like that website, what product is this? For hackers to scan people's computers?

3. HammerHead

HammerHead Guest

Hi Nadirah

No, the free program is only used on your own computer, not anyone else's. I would not post any hacker programs, and if i had the Mods would have deleted it by now. It is supposed to scan your own computer for open ports, like the on-line scanners. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it, and if it is any good.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I haven't; and I must say I wouldn't mess with it. The site has some monthly-fee "firewall service??" and I bet this free download will tell you "you are in danger - must buy pcinternetpatrol now!"

I could be wrong, but in this case I doubt it ;)

5. LeonThompson

LeonThompson Guest

This is a std piece of equipment for network professionals. A hacker could use this, but then he would also use a command shell (CMD.EXE), would you suggest removing this application too? Hackers are more than capable of creating their own port scanners and to think that by stopping a useful tool such as Super Scanner being produced would somehow reduce the risk of a hacker exploiting vulnerabilities, is naive I'm afraid.

Leon Thompson
    IT Security consultant
    mail@sionuk.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.