Anyone tried the MS Private Folder 1.0?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by spindoctor, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

I also noticed that the Windows built in defrag will tell you the file names inside PF and say it couldn't defrag them. Also a couple popular rootkit scanners will reveal the contents of PF as well. If you want better security maybe try TrueCrypt. I just use PF for general privacy + I use another program to encrypt my files before I put them in PF, so I feel somewhat more secure.

2. freakish

freakish Registered Member

How secure is microsoft private folder? Does it encrypt the files or merely make it harder to access for the casual user?

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Played with it for a while. Things to keep in mind. Discontinued\no support. As stated, the files can be seen various ways mentioned if they were an exe., installer, or program. However, plain text documents did not show up. Text documents were encrypted. Did however run into a problem with parts of the text not un-encrypting upon opening the folder. I have sense dumped it in favor of AxCrypt on my lap top and towers. Also use Truecrypt for my take along thumb drive.

4. 666

666 Registered Member

It encrypts them (but not by standard XP EFS ecryption) and hides them.

It doesn't do a good job at hiding them, though. You can still see them (but not decrypt them) if you access your drive from another (non-M$) OS.

And if you run an app lke RootkitRevealer, you see exacly what M$ Private Folder does: it's just a rootkit that hides the "private" folder from XP, with some encryption thrown in.

5. KrackerJack

KrackerJack Registered Member

This reminded me of Novell's iFolder. It's now gone open source. Check out ifolderdemo.novell.com for a free demo and www.ifolder.com for the open source project. They even have clients for Windows XP, Suse Linux, and MAC OS X. Workgroup file sharing in development.

Cheers

6. radagast

radagast Registered Member

I'd like to ask you: Is there any possibilities to damage enrypted private folder files and for this reason i can't log in (or I just use incorrect password).

I mean o&O defrag, Ccleaner, change file attributes, chkdsk.

2. question how can I check private folder integrity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.