Anyone tried ReactOS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any body tried this OS. It is still probably in Alpha stage but sounds prety interesting to me. I would have tried it right away but I don,t have a test machine.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Aigle,
    Sounds interesting.

Quote from that site.

ReactOS is known to run in at least Bochs, VMWare, VirtualPC and QEMU.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, I just tried live CD and GUI is nice. Options look like windows but OS is still in too early stage. BTW the live CD is practically an empty CD, just a GUI!
    But I think install CD has more options as I saw in their forums( I registered but could not login in spite of repeated trials-- even the site is in alpha stage!)

I am downloading the VMware version of it and will install in VMware player to see how it works.

4. tansu

tansu Registered Member

I tried the vmware version. It is pretty quick but there are lots of driver problems. And I could not install vmware tools.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Was it able to sense ur hardware, esp related to networking?

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If you were able to even so much as register, you must be a flaming genius.

When I tried to register, I reached a step in the registration process that showed a "Code Validator" table of letters & numbers), and required me to enter "Identity Code." I could find no explanation of the Code Validator table, and no clue was given as to what they wanted me to enter in "Identity Code."

Evidently I have too low an IQ to register (not at all surprising). Duhhh :p

7. dog

dog Guest

Here's an example bellgamin ... the ones with the [.] are numbers and without are letters.

This code is 51Q2715

HTH;

Steve

Attached Files:

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

LOl, the code is really deciving. Also I could fighure it out after much time and so many attempts- and just by chance it clicked in my mind( sure its, good security code then!!).

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

bellgamin <-- blushing

Thanks, Dog. I even tried cryptography, thinking it was some sort of substitution code. Once I saw your post, I slapped myself in the head. Soooo obvious! :oops:

@Aigle- I like the ReactOS forum. Nice friendly, dedicated folks over there. Have you joined?

@Dog- Have you joined?

I'm too inept to be an alpha tester, but I donated some $$$, & shall do so again from time to time. ABM!!!

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I joined it but could never log in as I use proxy server and via proxy u can,t enter there, tried so many times!!
    Tried the live CD also but its actually an empty CD with a login screen, a desktop and start menu, icons etc -- all just like windows- but every thing is empty, so no use at the moment.

11. dog

dog Guest

No, it's not my bag of tea ... having completely migrated to Linux, I'm immersed in that education and while I have progressed nicely from noob to an intermediate user, there is so much to learn. I'm completely committed to Linux and won't change course in the foreseeable future; the communities and the driving philosophy behind it are symphonic with my beliefs (much like Wilders). I look forward to the day that I am able to contribute to the effort in a meaningful way.

I do wish them the best of luck. :)

Steve

12. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I have tried the previous releases of it, but not the current one (I will soon on VMware) and must say its quite nice, but nowhere near finished and won't be for quite some time. I dualboot with XP Pro and Ubuntu, and I'm slowly starting to migrate to Linux, only time will tell (I play quite a few PC games so I will still need Windows either way.) - I still keep up-to-date on ReactOS though, its still an interesting thing to mess around with, and maybe with some added stability and support for some more common apps it could be quite nice and start taking the place as a main or secondary OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.