Anyone running openSUSE?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by elapsed, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone runs it, don't see it mentioned here a lot. At over 4GB the ISO is taking a while to download (about the size of windows) :)

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I run it off and on and like it a lot. I've tried both the KDE and Gnome 3 versions, both are very well done. There are the live cd's and also a net install cd if you don't want to download 4 gigs for the full dvd.

It's a nice distro IMO, and one of my favorites where everything pretty much works...

Codecs for video and mp3 playing etc are easily dealt with by the one click install:

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_formats/12.1

MS fonts are in the repos.

4. elapsed

I was actually glad it was so big, it gave me more confidence it might actually be worthwhile (I hate the whole "must fit on a CD" obsession). Was playing around with it but had a few issues in VirtualBox I haven't had before, I'm going to try the live env sometime as it looks and feels quite promising.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

6. elapsed

Can I ask if anyone has had success running GNOME3 in VirtualBox without it falling into "fallback mode"? Does it require 3D/2D acceleration enabled? (as I can't use it)

7. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

yes i use Opensuse a lot i like it very much

Great chameleon

8. mack_guy911

sorry last time i tried gnome 3 it didnt work i dont like gnome 3 never tried it expect linux mint 12 in there as well i use cinnamon and it work perfect.

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

is there any particular reason you looking for open suse and with gnome 3 o_O?

9. elapsed

I originally installed it with KDE (which worked fine, didn't fall back to anything) and that's the version I said I liked, but I wanted to try the GNOME3 version to see which I preferred, that's really the only reason :p
    GNOME3 "fallback mode" definitely doesn't excite me though!

10. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Which desktop environment is the best for an old laptop (1.8GHz Intel M, 1 GB RAM)? I heard that openSUSE is a fully bloated distro!

11. mack_guy911

you can run open suse or linux mint 12 they work but little slow also while installing create 2gb swap or test on live cd

best is xubuntu fast stable pretty much same or close to old ubuntu 10.04 :thumb:

or second choice is

you can try pclinux os xfce i personal like them both for fast and old pc

there are lxde but since you 1gb ram i so xfce gonna rock :D

12. mack_guy911

open suse make best kde for gnome 3

try linux mint 13 why because gnome 3 (no comment :D ) but linux mint with default and with help of cinnamon make it usable also cinnamon there in suse/fedora but its not as stable as its on mint

13. elapsed

Bloated can be a good thing sometimes :D I wouldn't let the size fool you, it runs fine in my 1Gb VM which reports ~400MB free sitting on the desktop.

I run Mint Debian with Xfce on my portable drive for work, I'll try the whole cinnamon thing when the new Mint comes out. I've decided to give up trying to get the GNOME3 openSUSE to work, I'll be installing the KDE version on a partition next to Windows 8 on my laptop to try it further as I don't use it for much.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sorry I can't help about the VM stuff. I ran Gnome 3 via a regular full install on the HD and it was fine. It reminds me somewhat of Unity on Ubuntu. I think I prefer it over KDE at this point. It's pretty simple and clean and nice... Can't you just boot off the live CD and have a look around? Or am I missing the point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.