Anyone Know What This Was?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Google_nada, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Google_nada

Google_nada Guest

This morning,I had a bit of a rude awakening when my private e-mail account filled with viruses.Obviously,one of the handful of people who know that addy are infected and it's mailing itself to everyone in their address book.

Just out of curiosity,I'd love to know what it was though.The subject line was "Help".
    The body of the e-mail contained a URL,along with garbage text asking what (I'd) be doing on New Year,then a reference to "The Beatles"..(I should add,nothing auto-downloaded).

There was an attachment:logic.gif.

F-Secure and The Virus library drew a blank.I'm aware that Bagle was using Gifs at one time,but still couldn't pin it down.
    Of course,I've forwarded the viruses for analysis,but my curiosity is really starting to get the better of me.
    Does it sound familiar to anyone?

2. google_nada

google_nada Guest

According to my A.V. it was just spam,but they're still looking into it?!

Surely,the fact remains though that one of my mates is the unwitting host to a spam relay?

Believe me,my e-mail addy is preposterous,there's no way it could've been randomly generated by a spamming machine?

How else could I have recieved it?Don't use NetBT/Net Bios over TCP/IP yada yada...
    Using Thunderbird as mail client and Firefox as browser.Are there ways my e-mail address could've been "read"?
    Or is a trojan spam proxy still the most likely?

3. Newkid

Newkid Spyware Fighter

Hi there !

Would you please send a copy of that email at inewkid@yahoo.com ?

As far as your other question are concern then "Nothing is safe" on Internet. I am not denying firefox is much better then IE but it doesn't mean that you are 100% safe while using the same browser.

Every single software/application/firewall is vulnerable.

Newkid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.