Anyone know what this optional Windows update is?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by allizomeniz, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I recently started using Microsoft Security Essentials and I have version 2.1.1116.0. I keep it updated through the interface. SE reports that it's up-to-date. But the Windows Update website (I'm using Windows XP SP3) is offering an optional update. It's, Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials KB2310138 (Definition 1.117.1438.0). It's 71.3 MB. Does anyone know what this is or if I need it? It looks to me like the latest full installer of the definition database, but I really haven't a clue. I checked the "Details" link but it turned out to be useless. I also did some searching online but couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello,

MSE only updates each 24 hours (I believe.) automatically. Other updates may arrive, but only as optional. Optional updates won't be automatically applied. That's an unfortunate design, IMHO.

You may automate this process however, by scheduling a task that will look for and apply the updates on your behalf.

If you give me a moment, I'll provide you with the necessary steps. :)

3. m00nbl00d

Note: I prefer this method.

First, open Notepad with Administrator rights. Copy and past the following:

Code:
    @echo off
    cd "%PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft Security Client\"
    start /min MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

Save it as something like MSE-update.bat in the folder where Microsoft Security Essentials is installed.

Then, follow these steps.

Step 1: Open Windows Task Scheduler (You should find it in the Start menu > Accessories.) You need to execute it as an administrator.

Step 2: Once in the Task Scheduler, click Action tab > Create task...

Step 3: Give a name to the task, under the General tab. Make sure you run the task using the name of the user account you'll be using.

Step 4: Open the Triggers tab and click New. Then in Star task, choose Session logon. In the Advanced settings, select Repeat task... and choose the period of time you'd like and then choose Indefinitely.

Step 5: Go to Action tab. Click New. Under Action choose Run a program. In program/script, go to Microsoft Security Client/Essentials folder and look for the batch file.

Step 6: Go to the Conditions tab.

Choose the energy options that fit your needs.
    If you'd like you may choose to run the task only when an Internet connection is active, and which one.

Step 7: Settings tab. Deselect the box that says Stop task if run more than...

That's it.

Now, right-click the task's name and execute it, and see if it's working.

Note: The wording may differ a little bit from what I mentioned, as I'm not running the english version of Windows.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

allizomeniz, click on the Down Arrow, to the right of Help, then select About Security Essentials.

You should be able to see both the Antivirus & Antispyware current definitions, which are 1.117.1438.0 at the time of this post.

5. allizomeniz

m00nbl00d, thanks. So some definitions are optional? It is truly unfortunate they decided to do it that way.

JRViejo, I have version 1.117.1411.0 for both antivirus and spyware. Is it your understanding also that some of the definitions are optional?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

allizomeniz, I use Windows 7, and my Windows Update GUI always shows MSE's definitions as "optional." Be aware that on average, Microsoft updates MSE 3 times a day. You could always check here: Get the latest definitions to see the latest version numbers or use m00nbl00d's suggestion to download more frequently.

7. allizomeniz

I guess what I'm not understanding is if I installed MSE, updated it, have been keeping it updated every day, and the interface is reporting it's up-to-date, how could I be so far behind? Does anyone know of a reasonable explanation for this or could there be something wrong with my install? I don't have Automatic Updates enabled, I just update manually from the interface. Does AU have to be enabled for MSE to work properly?

8. m00nbl00d

You only have to have Windows Update service enabled. Automatic Updates can be disabled.

In Windows Update, updates (regardless of their nature) labelled as Optional, will only be installed if you choose to install them, manually. That's why they're optional.

As JRViejo mentioned, on average there are 3 malware definitions updates per day for MSE. Microsoft simply designed MSE only to verify 1x for such updates each 24 hours.

They seem to believe 1 update each 24 hours is more than enough. I disagree.

If 1 update each 24 hours is enough, then how come there are on average 3 updates each 24 hours? Are they all the same? They don't seem to be, otherwise MSE wouldn't update again until the next 24 hours period.

There must be a reason why more definitions become available with the same 24 hours period, no. o_O Otherwise, they're all a bunch of o_O people. :blink:

At least we can override that limitation, either by modifying the registry or schedule a task. I prefer to schedule a task, because it will allow for a more refined update mechanism.

9. allizomeniz

"You only have to have Windows Update service enabled. Automatic Updates can be disabled." That's how I have it configured.

I normally get three updates a day. So if I just keep updating regularly from the interface I should be okay? If I install that 71MB file from Windows update I won't be getting anything over and above what I get from the interface?

10. m00nbl00d

If you keep updating using the interface, then it's OK. The schedule task simplifies that task by doing it automatically and in the background. It won't download the 71MB file. The schedule task will download the same file that would be downloaded using the Update button in the interface.

11. allizomeniz

I just updated and now I'm up to 1.117.1455.0. That's the latest version per the page JRViejo linked to.

For some reason Windows update was offering me the full package. That's what I suspected but wasn't sure. I guess it can only tell if you have the latest version but isn't able to tell if you need the whole thing or not.

Thanks a lot to all who responded. :)

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

allizomeniz, you're welcome! Keep that page handy for future reference. Take care.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Off topic posts removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.