Anyone know how to manipulate log files?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I may not even know enough to frame the question properly. If you are famillari with Norton Antivirus, or Firewall, then you have seen how the logs are. I can view a chronalogical series or alarms, alerts, events, what-have-you, however i would like to be able to save the data in a word processor, or a spreadsheet, so as to be able to do a search, or catagorize in a different way.

yet the logs dont appear "selectable". I would like to <ctrl-A> to select all, and copy to the clip board but this is not doable. I have had similar problems and worse in other programs. For instance, with Pest Patrol, i cannot even read the contents of the log, because they do not fit on the screen, and i don't know any other way to access the data.

Is there some program that can extract this info? I am woefully ignorant of spreadsheets and the like, so i don't even know what product I may be needing. Any ideas?

-HandsOff

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can probably go to program files to the symantec folder and find the log files in there then you can copy and paste. I have done it with mcafee and it should work with norton.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi HandsOff

Which version of NPF/NIS?

For 2003/2004 there is a log export capability in the Log Viewer. You could then import that into something like Excel.

If you are running 2002 or earlier, Log Viewer is an excellent utility. The author is working on an updated version which should work with the newer versions.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi,

I tried all three methods suggested, i believe that the log files are encrypted, but you are right they can be exported into a text file (with NPF 2003). I was unable to get the Log Viewer to work. Possibly it only works with NIS, and not NPF, or i just did something wrong. I have Norton System Works but have deleted almost all of the components because i dont use them. only NPF and NAV are left. Anyway, the text files are a big help, but i guess i was hoping that there was some super log viewing program that works on all types of log files. I have gone as far as to take screenshots and enter the images into ocr programs to get the data, only that is a little difficult and time consuming. It is sometimes complicated by the colored backgrounds, ect. I was thinking maybe there was something like a snag-it / scansoft hybrid that was design to go in and recognize table structures and neatly store the contents as text. I guess i have read too much science fiction.

Thanks for the information. The actuall problem i was addressing (looking for instances of a particular TCP/IP was solved!

-I Bet lots of people who have Norton would find that FREE LOG VIEWER to be interesting.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi HandsOff

The log files are encrypted from v2003 and up.

The log viewer I referenced will not work with 2003/2004 yet.

Once you have exported the logs to a text file with the utility in NIS/NPF, you should then be able to import that into something like Excel where you could work with it (filter, sort, charts, etc). The export takes a little cleaning up as it duplicates some information if I recall correctly.

Even more so once it's compatible for 2003/2004 versions.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.