anyone here use Symantec Endpoint Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bogart, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bogart

bogart Registered Member

is it a really good antivirus, and how is it on resources.

how does it compare to other antiviruses.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

solid av, as good as any of the top 5

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello bogart;

I've twice downloaded and used Symantec Endpoint protection on a trial basis and found it to be a very smooth application; easy to configure, and it ran smoothly on my Pentium 4 rig which at the time had 2.5gb of ram.

I can't compare it's detection and removal capabilities with other Symantec products or those from competitors as I can't recall seeing it included in any comparative I've read.
    Perhaps someone else has that information.

4. bogart

bogart Registered Member

would you say the detection is the same as norton antivirus 2009

5. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I have used it before and found it effective but the newer version have been little heavy.

6. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Please clarify your statement.

Some of my clients use Symantec Endpoint Protection, so I must keep them updated, and after over a year's experience with this product the only annoyance I have experienced is the high resource requirements of its Endpoint Manager software...

Half a gigabyte of memory just to access an SQL Server database??

From my experience the client works very, very well, and is competitive with products that have the lowest resource requirements.

7. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

It's the same scanning engine, but there is no Insight in it(yet) and AFAIK, no Sonar either, so while scanning detection is the same, protection against unknown threat is probably a tad lower.

8. kinwolf

Strange statement since the latest version integrated many agents into a single executable, saving on the memory footprint and concurent use of CPU, so it's actually lighter. But it can be different on different machines, as always

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

True, confirmed here... :thumb:

10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I found it odd that SEP's Proactive Defense module doesn't work in Server 2008.

11. kinwolf

Support for Windows 2008 started with v10 MP3 if I recall correctly, v11 should be fully working.

12. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Im using it as far as being stable, i think it is and does great. has a nice set of feature id update to the most recent version which is SEP v 11.0.4202.75

which was released in may

13. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Currently I have on my system Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1.6.6000. I have recently acquired the latest version of Symantec Endpoint but as yet have not installed it. The Corporate Edition is working fine and I have been reluctant to install Endpoint. I know that I could remove the Corporate Edition and install Endpoint and that if I didn't like Endpoint I could remove it and then reinstall the Corporate Edition. But that just seems like a lot of work. I guess I am of the old school "if it aren't broken don't fix it". Any recommendations or suggestions as to what I should do? As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

14. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Well Endpoint has proactive protections , network thre. at protection (firewall)

applaction control to block the use of devices.

thats just few what i recall off hand.

15. Wildest

Endpoint Protection is the evolution of Antivirus Corporate as indicated by the fact that Endpoint Protection is at version 11, even though this is its first release.
    This is similar to the relationship between Vista and Windows 7.
    If I had Vista installed and I got a copy of Windows 7, I would set aside some time to install the latter.
    If you prefer to stick with Antivirus Corporate 10 because you have no problems, go ahead.

16. kinwolf

Endpoint is simply the new marketing name of Corporate Edition. They added some sygate stuff in it too. If you want to upgrade you have no choice to go to endpoint, which is v11. You can also get v12 in the new Endpoint for Small businesses.

17. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Does anyone know the difference if at all on the ver 11 from 12 other than the name? im thinking they are the same.

18. kinwolf

v12 mark the start of the integration with the Altiris management console, that's the major diff. It doesn'T mean much for home user, but for enterprise it brings nice new functions, like network discovery in the same console as the AV. Of course, there is a huge downside in that it requires a brand new console, so you need to uninstall everything and reinstall instead of an easy upgrade path. And they had just done that for the v10 to v11(v11 has a completely new console that required starting from scratch).

It caused such a rukus among Symantec clients that "upgraded" to SEP SBSv12(Small Business Software) that they are now rethinking their strategy and are updating v11 console instead. So when v12 of SEP "enterprise" comes out, it will have an updated v11 console, and I guess an optional Altiris integration. They'll always deny that's the reason, of course. At least, the symantec rep I talked to quickly denied it, but when you want the truth, you speak to concurrent reps :D

Who said the AV business didn't have it's drama?

19. Wildest

Thanks for this info.

I used Altiris' product for some time before they were acquired by Symantec; it worked very well, and if Symantec is integrating this in Endpoint it can only be good for their clients, and bad for the competition.

20. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Sorry to confuse you all. I have used it in 2006 when it was known as symantec client security( this version did not have sygate firewall integration). The latest version i used was in early 2008 and I found the firewall component to be heavy while surfing the web(containing lot of images or flash player). I do not blame sygate firewall for that issue. To be clear, this was used for personal use only not on corporate or mission important computers.

21. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've been using it for the last eight or nine months and I must say I love it. I don't find it too heavy, although it does slow things down at times, but I've tried Avast and Avira and neither of them seemed to like my current setup for some reason. SEP just installed and worked without any conflict. It has also detected things that other AVs have missed. I don't use the firewall but run it alongside Outpost Pro and it's a very smooth setup indeed and I do feel secure with it on my laptop and desktop machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.