Anyone here use Nero?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FireDancer, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new CD-RW Drive for my system and was very happy to find some software with it..Nero 5.5. I know it is NOT the latest build 6.0 but when it's free im not gonna complain :) Anyways, In nero burning rom under file tab there is a utlity called HD Backup and I cannot seem to get the number of copies to change. It defaults to 1/31 copies :( I have searched high and low for a setting change
    and cant seem to find one.

In the current task settings it shows 1/1 and as soon as I tell it to write it goes to 1/31 copies. Does anyone here use this software? If so and you can direct me on how to possibly change this I would appreciate it.

I have written to Nero but to no avail got no responce from them... not a one out of 9 mails :mad:. I am not sure what to do as I would like to create a back up of my HDD
    with out all the promts telling me to insert a new disk. I would think that a designer wouldnt be so A$$9 as to default it to 31 copies...but who knows? right now thier proving me wrong :D

Best Regards,
    FireDancer

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey FireDancer

I’m pretty sure someone on here uses or had used Nero at some point…

Your HDD must be quite big? Are you sure 1/31 copies doesn’t represent CD 1 out of 31 CD’s required to completely back-up the entire HDD?

3. FireDancer

Phantom,

:) it's not that big .. rigt now i am running my maxtor 20Gig
    it should do it in 1 CD, 1/31 cant be right I have only used 4.5 Gigs on it so far no seperate partitions either. Thats with the OS.

Regards,
    FireDancer

4. Phant0m

Yea, hmmm

I suppose if you started the burning process you have option of making another copy after each session…

5. FireDancer

That is correct here is a image it will give ya hint as to how much data is on image 1 it's like 650 megs not big at all I dont understand it

FD

Attached Files:

• Nero.jpg
      Nero.jpg
      File size:
      49.1 KB
      Views:
  6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I find it interesting that you have a 20GB drive and that the number being used is 1 out of 31. Since normal CDs hold 650MB of data, and 650MB multiplied by 31 is just over 20GB. :doubt:

Is it at all possible that the software is making some kind of physical backup of all the bits on the drive, using no compression or file recognition and literally needs 31 CDs to fit it all?

I know it sounds silly, but, it is interesting math...

Can you show us a screen that shows the 1/31 thing so we can see the context?

Edit: I have to wonder exactly what that specific option is trying to do...

7. FireDancer

hmmm maybe im doing something wrong LWM heres a screen shot if you need more let me know.. look to the right side if screen

FD

Attached Files:

8. Phant0m

9. FireDancer

Phantom and LWM,

screen shot im gonna post is what was put on the cd after I shut down FW NOD32v2 and in safe mode. Funny thing is
    when I burned the cd and it said 1/31 copies after the first copy was made it asked me to insert another cd and I clicked abort. It then said 1 copy of 31 burned task aborted and this is what I got on the cd in full

Did i do something wrong? Hmmmm? is there another way or a proper way to back up a HD to use for a restore
    if needed?

FD

Attached Files:

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, the only confusing thing here is that it is saying "Copy: 1/31". Does it mean it is making 31 copies of the same data? Or, is it saying that the "copy operation" is taking 31 disks and it is on number 1?

From Phant0m's image above, that sounds a real lot like it is making a physical copy of the hard drive. It says: "The Nero harddisk backup works by storing all sectors of a harddisk or partition on a CD." All sectors - regardless of filesystem - so, it is ignoring the file system. It sounds like a full physical copy. That would take 31 disks.

11. Phant0m

From LowWaterMark 1st post LowWaterMark verified in what I had said from the very beginning, and from that image the information LowWaterMark clarified says it ALL… 31 CD’s is required to backup that entire HDD, 650 * 31 = Your Entire HDD space… :'(

12. FireDancer

hmmmm what do you think I need to do or is there anything I can do? as far as set up or files needed to create a back up HDD or is that it? just 31 cd's ? ugggh guess im not to good at this :) ROFL HMMM time to re think this I guess.

All I wanted was a copy of system in case of problems later..
    I thought I couold use the disk to restore. welp something new to learn I guess.

I do have the option to drop and drag files to copy but to be hones I dont know what I would need in totality for a system back up in case of a problem later

Thanks for the help guys,

FireDancer

13. Phant0m

LOL, I’m little out-of-touch with new CD Technology but aren’t rewritable’s always 650MB in size? If that’s the case perhaps that’s why they didn’t go beyond 650, without any notifications of any kind maybe they considered rewritable’s to be more efficient to use then Recordable CDs…

You wont be seeing me spend money out buying large amount of Recordable CD’s whenever I felt need to backup my Entire HDD, I would go with the most efficient thing (Rewriteable…).

14. Phant0m

There are many HDD Backup utilities which works definitely, Nero has to be quite different by Backing up “All sectors” of harddisk or partition. Thus being reason why many CD’s are required…

15. FireDancer

I guess I will have to partition the HDD so that I can choose what to back up as I see it it is looking at the whole HDD like you said. and yes the math works out to 31 CD's :) welp I guess thats the fix is to put in another partition...any recommendations for size? I guess I could make a F:\ for storage or something.

Mmmmmm yummy enjoy the cookies guys :) grin thanks for the help

FireDancer :rolleyes:

16. Phant0m

Many seem to love Norton Ghost™ 2003, and I do believe it works quite differently compared to Nero. Visit http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

17. Phant0m

Just find something that’s not like Nero which backups ALL the sectors of the Harddisk or partition, that type of method is time & money consuming…

18. Phant0m

Hey FireDancer

Thanks! I just finished my cookie, incredibly large it was it had taking quite some time to finish it. I think I like your cookies quite a bit, keep them coming lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.