Anyone heard of this AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was reading this trend and had a good laugh too mainly bec most users out there have been brainwashed by AV companies. You may not know this but most AV depends on searching for the virus footprint, ie they first need to know the virus first ( usually its too late). The next gen of virus has several 'components' which means a payload could be found in one infected file and the messenger in another etc. This makes it more difficult to attack. Think of it as a file which by itself is harmless but if the rest of the other components are downloaded ( at different times) then it is LIVE. Now, to understand this you need to know a bit about programming and to identify the relevant codes and how they could be assemble (the so call hooks). This is what Vbuster is doing, its not only a search engine but identify parts of the code which means it has to work at the machine code level. Obviously not all hooks could be malicious and at times legitimate componets need to call others in its operation.

Therefore while almost all other AV will not identify the virus or parts of it, it does not mean Vbuster is in error, the so called positive error. The way a AV software is check is against others AV is to see if it missed any virus, say 10 AV software arrived at 10 virus files, and Vbuster got the same 10 plus a few more, it does not mean Vbuster is false positive. However, if vbuster arrive at 4 then and only then one has to raise a chucke.

Please note, the above is not advice, merely my humble opinion. If you are buying an AV software, for goodness sake buy not one but a few. I would also recommend F-prot ( dos ) as an alternative.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Are you from VBuster team? Or are you the developer....just curious.

I thought all current AVs do scan for virus code in all files o_O

3. Firecat

Besides, what you say about knowing of assembly codes etc. is just what exactly defines heuristics.

4. Firecat

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't like this one. Way too much Download buttons leading t the exactly same location. One Download button is imo enough.
    I counted 6 of them on a SINGLE page! And i probably missed some of them...

6. Firecat

Yes...I counted seven on a single page! And if you click on the 'Download' button, it wont give you a trial! Instead, it will take you to the purchase page.

I dont like it either.

7. polaris

polaris Guest

Have anyone heard Principal Antivirus?
    http://www.resplendence.com/antivirus

8. Firecat

Hmmff...No signatures? Its a waste of time. Heuristics alone can NOT stop all malware. Besides, there is always the chance of FPs.

9. Vbuster is one of the best antivirus programs around in the world.
    I have tested some real viruses in my collection and found that it could find and destroy those which were missed out by the latest version of McAfee as well as Norton
    Probably because the author of the programe has been at it for a long, long time.

10. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

The next german site provides alist of AV/AT vendors (well known or not):

http://www.antivirus-online.de/english/companies.php

They have not forgotten the chinese AV (Kingsoft), but unfortunately the Indian AV: http://www.quickheal.com/firstvb.htm

Except the 10 or 12 well known good AVs, I've not seen a product which can be considered as a "revolution": regarding the price and the real efficiency, Resplendance/Principal AV for instance is quite a shame.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.