anyone heard of Online Armour?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by angarahad, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have to say, although there's some room for polish this is one of the best quality betas I've run. It's got some tremendous potential, and haven't seen anything like it to date. I think this might even cover the 'mom-friendly' version of ProcessGuard that I requested in the PG wishlist thread once the software database gets established :)

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Interesting thing to note is that it alerts to hooks earlier than PG does, at least for me.

3. HD rider UK

HD rider UK Registered Member

I am currently trialling the Beta and I must say that I like it. I agree with Notok's comment on it being a friendly app to use. Hopefully the Beta testing will result in a valuable addition to the armoury.

HDRiderUK

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thank you!

Hi All,

Just a big thank you to those of you who have participated in the beta testing of Online Armor - we've discovered (and fixed!) a number of bugs and also had some new feature ideas :)

In the next day or so I'll be releasing another beta version which will be closer to the final release. In particular, it addresses a number of cosmetic issues and a few usability concerns.

In no specific order:

* Warns user that an internet connection is required to install the product.

* Gives the user the ability to opt-out of sharing program data with us during the execution of the safety-check wizard (instead of after)

* Warns the user that the program will auto-start, and must do so in order to be effective

* A few hints in places to better explain what is happening.

There will also *hopefully* be a new feature which will lower the security privileges of programs such as Internet Explorer, Outlook, ICQ etc when they are executed by a user logged in with admin privs.

Once again, thanks for the help and feedback guys - it really has been invaluable.

Best,

Mike
    www.tallemu.com

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

New version out tomorrow.

The new version is release candidate 2. If there are no major issues it will be the first "gold" release.

Version 1.2 will have the functions of reg defender ... a subsequent version (maybe v1.4) will have a personal firewall as well.

Looks promising :cool:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  6. JT3

JT3 Guest

Well based on the whole talk about hooks on LIFO, this merely means it starts latter than PG.

SSM hooks earlier for me too.

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi All... we didn't quite get dynamic process priv. lowering into the v1.1 release - but this will go out on Auto updates a few weeks after version 1.1

We've spent the last few weeks chasing down some obscure bugs impacting small numbers of users (which could, of course potentially impact larger numbers in future) and we figured stability was more worthwhile than a new feature we can put out at a later date.

If anyone is having any problems with the beta test version, please mail me directly. We take any bugs in Online Armor extremely seriously.

Of course, I'm hoping that everyone who got a licence key and hasn't mailed us for any reason is happily enjoying OA with no problems :)

Regards

Mike

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If that were the case, PG being installed after OA would cause PG to alert first, which is not the case here. They seem to prevent execution differently, and OA seems to stop it earlier in the process. I doubt the implication of this is really all that great, but it's interesting to note none the less :)

9. JT3

JT3 Guest

It's not a matter of being *installed*. It's a matter of starting.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I don't believe hooks are generally removed when the application exits, this could potentially cause problems. For the sake of argument, however, I disabled PG, killed all 3 processes, then restart them all (with OA already running), and OA still alerted first. Like I say, they seem to stop execution differently. When I ran the trojan dropper Small.aio, it managed to spawn IE before PG stopped the rest of it from executing, whereas it did not with OA.

Another difference with OA is that if you mistakenly allow execution, you can go into the 'programs' tab and hit the 'delete' button to remove the file and any changes it has made, removing the infection. After the database is filled up, this guesswork will be brought to a minimum, however.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  11. Blackcat

Notok

How do you view OA compared to ProcessGuard/SafeNSec? Any preference so far?

I am impressed so far with the beta, but I am looking forward to the version with the Registry Guard. Support has been very good so far.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I like the execution protection better in a lot of ways, and the registry protection is very nice. I preffer the keylogger protection for what it does, although it's not as comprehensive as PG's hooking protection (perhaps in the future?), and covers drivers by prompting you to allow them as any other executable. Safe n Sec covers files, where OA doesn't (again, perhaps in future versions? would be nice..), so overall there would be some overlap, but it's not a 100% replacment for them, at least not yet. As it is, though, they run quite nicely together, so the overlap isn't that big of a deal for me. I'm sure that in coming versions I will make a decision one way or another.. I definitely look forward to the full registry guard as well :) I wouldn't say that you NEED PG or SnS to complete OA, but if you've already got them and are happy with them, there's no particular need to get rid of them quite yet if you don't want to. If you're looking to consolidate, I think OA is a good solution, especially for the less technically inclined.

And I agree about the support. I don't think I've encountered a beta that fixes problems so promptly.

13. Blackcat

Thanks for your comments, Notok
    In the present version does it offer any registry protection? I have tried it with Ghostecurity's RegTest 1 and each modification was successful!

14. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

A couple of screenies of it would be nice :cool:
    Anyone?

Cheers, TAS

15. Blackcat

Easy to setup with the install wizard.

Attached Files:

16. Blackcat

Safety check OK.

Attached Files:

17. Blackcat

Start Menu programs to trust?

Attached Files:

18. Blackcat

Startup items.

Attached Files:

19. Blackcat

No dangerous files :cool:

Attached Files:

20. Blackcat

IE extensions.

Attached Files:

21. Blackcat

Set up your preferences.

Attached Files:

22. Blackcat

Wizard completed! Did not take long.

Attached Files:

23. Blackcat

A typical pop-up Window.

Attached Files:

24. Blackcat

Notice it can check for keyloggers. Updated current version is 1.1.0.46.

Attached Files:

25. Blackcat

Program updated and Allowed programs listed.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.