Anyone heard from HDS - re Rollback?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pvsurfer, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am sure it has nothing to do with it. It is a very simple programme that I rarely use. I is not needed to be installed even and when run it just monitors for any log enteries constantly written by any software while u are working on keyboard, these enteries may be from a key logger or a legitimate software.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am bit confused here. I have imaged my C drive amd restored it as well( on a laptop without RollbackRx). So how I was able to do it without capturing MBR? Anybody can explain.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whatever you used say IFD captured an image of everything but the mbr, and then restored it, but during the restore it didn't wipe it out. another example. Drive Snapshot includes the MBR in the image, but on a normal restore doesn't restore it. BUt it does have commands to restore the MBR if necessary. A useful feature, but anyone finding IFD difficult probably wouldn't like Drive Snapshot.

Pete

4. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Like what you say, IFD restore without wiping out the mbr. Does this mean you still can see the RB image at boot screen? Are this same when you image and restore with BING?

This is very informative at least i know now ATI have the option for the mbr and easy to use GUI.

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Aigle & incursari

At terabyte support:
    This feed:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/cg...ticle&group=public.apps.image&item=6340&utag=
    hit [next] to follow the thread

6. Peter2150

7. Peter2150

I don't know about RB, but when I do a restore from IFD with FDISR, I still get the preboot, snapshots, everything. I assume that would be true of RB, although if you image with IFD, I suspect you'd get your initial snapshot which you might not want.

Pete

8. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Days 8 - 11 with the new build of Rollback Rx Pro:

Over the past week I've thrown quite a bit at this new build and it hasn't flinched. Since I really couldn't think of what else I could do to break it, I've just been using my comp these past few days without regard to RB - other than to allow it to build-up its number of snapshots (as I had deleted all but 3 as part of my previous tests).

So rather than look for RB problems, I'll just let them find me (hopefully, they won't)!

~pv

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

10. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Yeah thanks for the link. With this info i dont have to worry about imaging sofware and mbr, tools are available to back up mbr and make me more understand how mbr work and what it does.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It did fail on my system( unlike urs).

12. pvsurfer

aigle, I know, we know - you already told us that in post #81 - or did you experience yet another failure?

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

14. pvsurfer

As all of my past posts on the subject indicate, my disk-imaging experience, with and without RB, is with Acronis True Image (also see my sig below).
    Regarding it's use with RB, you may want to refer to my posts #95 & #98.

Obviously, I can not speak for BING or IFD/IFW (where I have no experience), as procedures and results could very well be different.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As noted in another thread, I have joined pvsurfer & others in again running RB. I have a question concerning a check block on the Advanced Settings.

The check block is labelled as follows...
    RB's Help manual for that block states as follows...
    My two questions --
    1- Is it a good idea to check-mark that block or not?
    2- Why (or why not)?

16. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

I would recommend to check-mark this option (if running RB at all). However be aware that it can cause other programs to fail and even BSOD the machine.

I had such experience e.g. with Icesword and VMware. Running Icesword with this turned on resulted in blue screens and VMware would most of the time crash at the end of the guest OS boot phase. This was reproducible in both cases and confirmed by HDS to happen also with the latest build. Only solution is to turn this off at the moment.

However when I did so, some days later file corruption occured again. It is unclear for me whether the corruption issue can be attributed to this option being not turned on. It would sound somewhat logical. But on the other hand in the past months I always ran older builds of RB with this on - and still had snapshot corruption issues sooner or later. So it might be one of the variables in the equation, but not the only one.

Bottom line is I would recommend to NOT use RollBack when VMware is installed. Even without it I would reconsider the decision to try RB. I, for one, have uninstalled it.

17. pvsurfer

bellgamin~

1. While I don't profess to know best, all that I can say about this is that I do NOT have that function checked.

2. I chose not to check it because RB uses its own proprietary (hidden) partition, so I don't see how RB would be vulnerable to any Windows-centric attack. ...Furthermore, doing so could possibly cause other system problems (as kenjin noted).

~pv

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Few days back while playing with some software my system freezed and I had to reboot my PC by power reset button. On reboot, RolbackRx ran check disk( not the one being run by windows, it was the one being run by RollbackRx itself on improper shut down). After that I got a message like this

missing or corrupt file
    windows/system32/config/system

and was unable to boot into working windows configuration. However I was able to restore to the last snapshot I took.

19. pvsurfer

Days 12 - 17 with the new build of Rollback Rx Pro:

As I deleted most of my snapshots for a previous test, I've taken 17 snapshots over the past several days, giving me now a total of 20 (although in actual practice, I can't imagine ever needing that many).

During this span of time, on a few occaisions I ran Perfect Disk to defrag my then current snapshot and each time I noticed that PD was not defragging as it should. It took much longer than it would have if RB were not installed and after each run it reported a very large number of fragments! While none of this resulted in any RB problems or system issues, I do believe there is some sort of conflict between PD & RB.

This evening I'll backup my C-drive (using ATI); then I plan to delete several snapshots (around the middle of 'the pack'), defrag the rest, and then I'll reset my RB baseline. That should be interesting. :blink:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  20. pvsurfer

Hi aigle~ Just a few comments regarding your post. First, Check Disk (chkdsk) is definitely a Windows operation, not a Rollback operation. Secondly, the system freeze and error of missing/corrupt files could very well have been the result of your 'playing' with the other software you mentioned. Finally and most importantly, RB successfully restored your last snapshot. ~pv

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree with ur all other statements except that I think the missing or corrupt files were probably due to RollBackRx( but can,t be 100% sure of course). Infact i ahve faced similar scenarios with previous versions.

22. pvsurfer

Have you reported this to HDS and sent them your dat and log files?

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have stopped this now as on my next PC with Vista I am going to switch over to FDISR. They never replied to my earlier threads on their forums.

24. pvsurfer

I agree that HDS' forum is worthless, but as long as you are still using RB and taking part in RB discussions here, I can't understand why you won't report your incident to them!

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So u think posting in their forum( where I was the first user to post( out of the total three persons who posted) is not equivalent to reporting the incident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.