Anyone going to give the new PC Tools AV a spin?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wordward, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I know there have been a few problems in the past and it has had only average detection rates, but it sure looks promising now. This is one of the few AV's I haven't tried, but it now somehow looks a bit more tempting. LOL. http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50220

2. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

I have never tried there AV, but like there Firewall and use it.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, YOU are going to try it :)

Dont forget to mention its pros and cons when you return back ;)

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Any and all of PC Tools software will slow your pc to a crawl. Spyware Doctor slowed my pc way down and the boot times take forever. The virus was the same. Never tried the firewall. The only thing PC Tools makes good is Registry Mechanic.

5. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I rest my case.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Lmao I second that

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Any AV's as useful as they been over the years (tongue in cheek), IMO will never be practical enough untill they too apply a layered approach with HIPS, Sandboxing, and virutaliziing.

Signature based apps like those alone, even with pro-active features simply are no match on their own. Plus they have to wedge deep into the system to be of any real use and that always leads to conflicts/issues that can (speculation), deteriorate normal performance.

8. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I'm flattered to be picked on. CSJ and djohn. LOL. It is deserved though as I am notorious for trying out different stuff, but I must say I am still a little afraid to try this one yet. Besides the low detection rates it has had in the past, it has also had some troubles. That's why I was hoping for someone else to tell me how it is. LOL.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

LOL you think it will mess up your machine, so you want someone else to mess up thier machine first ;)

- dont worry, you ain't being picked on ;)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No problem in that as many users have dedicated test machines or VMs.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I ran PC-Tools AV on this computer for two weeks to give it a run. I had no problems with it at all, it didn't find anything but that didn't surprise me as I haven't been infected in over six years and even then it was my fault not my av :cool: PC-Tools AV did run light and seemed to be doing it's job.

bigc

Vista Premium
    AMD Sempron 64 3200+
    1250 mb' ram

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

No I don't want anyone to mess up their machines, but at the same time I don't want to mess up mine as I can't fix it like some of you are able to do because I'm dumber. LOL. You guys with your VM's are to be envied IMO. Also thanks bigc73542. I have been using AVG Pro that I still have 9 months left on its license for the last couple of days, but you know me,gotta keep trying stuff. Not sure if it's worth swapping AVG for PC Tools just yet, although solcroft did tell me in the PC Tools Forum that PCTAV has heuristics, and the new version is suppose to be much lighter and have an improved engine.

13. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I can name a few craptastic AV's that run light and seemed to be doing its job, but in the end crap is still crap no matter how much you try and polish it. ;)

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I don't know if your implying PCTAV is crap, but until the new version has been tested we won't know how good it's detection is. For free this may end up being as good as AVG Free or even Avast Home.

15. bigc73542

Some people don't trust any testing site except av-comparatives but PC-Tools AV was tested here. http://www.westcoastlabs.com/checkmark/ And PC-Tools av has also been tested by ICSA Labs and has passed their malware detection test. I realize this doesn't make it the AV for everyone. But it has been tested. Oh and before I forget it also passed at Virus Bulletin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  16. bigc73542

And trojan test

Attached Files:

17. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

PCTAV used with TF should provide sufficient protection. They work well together, even with the FW. I favor AntiVir and eventually went back. Give the PCTools-suite a try, it may surprise you how light it is compared to "the doctor"...ya know ya wanna!!!

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Where have you been 19monty64? I finally hear from you and already your pushing me to try some security software. LOL. I am finding it hard not to try PCTAV, but AVG is running good and I'm just to tired to uninstall it for now. Maybe if I hear that PCTAV does well in some more tests I'll give it a spin. I'm actually down to using only TF and the AV component of the AVG ISS someone gave me a license for over a year ago. be sure to check out all of my posts to catch up with everything I've installed since you been here. LOL. I would like to know more about the heuristics PCTAV is suppose to have for both real time detection and scanning. See ya and take care.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

What av engine is the new PCTOOLS AV using. Still using Virus Buster or whatever it was called?

20. 19monty64

It's hard to say. The lack of info on PCTool's-apps (especially from their forum) is the drawback to using their AV. Honestly though, Wordward, using TF to compliment ANY AV would be a safe bet. It is only for testing purposes and you are behind a router

21. 19monty64

I'm always lurking...
    It did good on tests I did....is that enough convincingo_O
    TF & AV is all I use...
    as I said, info on it is really lacking. The good thing is though, that they offer an entire suite free for the testing. Posting results here (instead of their forum) would be a good bet.

ciao4now...back2xboxlive...

22. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thank you kind sir. AVG is getting better and I am slowly losing my urge to try PCTAV. LOL. I can wait until the next AV Comparatives to see how it does. If of course it's tested.

23. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

NOD32 and KAV always own the top spots.Not sure if PC Tools or AVG free will be even on there. I know AVG Pro is.

24. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'd disagree about the Registry Mechanic, I've tried it, and it clashed with my McAfee software and possibly Counterspy.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I asked on their forums. It,s till based upon Virus Buster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.