Anyone else heard of this with Comodo Pro Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Wordward, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Yeah but when we say "most people" we usually refer to other people except those posting here..

We are too clever to have that problem.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

LOL.................................................:) My cousin is one of those people thats why he got 2 viruses.

3. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

4. Dieselman

And your point is? That post was back in Nov.

Why are you so worried. Comodo has been running fine for me for about a month now and millions of others.

He was also using an emulator which are known to lock up pc's cause they try and make your cd drive encryption run differently.

OA has there share.

http://support.online-armor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2966

http://support.online-armor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2944

EC edit: Combined 4 posts.
    Dieselman, next time you want to add something to your previous reply, please use the EDIT button in stead of posting three more replies. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Honestly i hardly had any troubles with any of the software's I've used, and love trying different ones out. However, since I also believe I would most likely be fine with only an AV, I figure why take the chance at this point that the problems slowly cropping up with Comodo may happen to me. If 3.1 is deemed to run well than fine i may reinstall Comodo, but right now ZAAS has been running fine along with Avast Home and ThreatFire and in my opinion just as protective as Comodo would be. Also that thread began back in November and since then other people are posting about these "new" incidents. What bothers me is that at least Mike Nash and others are addressing and trying to help with the OA problems in that forum, where no one seems to be even be acknowledging them in the Comodo forums. Again if Comodo 3.1 which is scheduled for release on Monday gets a thumbs up I most likely will install it again. Remember although I do love trying out security programs, Comodo is my favorite and I hope it is a keeper this time.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Comodo does not reply to bugs because it wastes time. Egemen, the lead developer replies to ones which keep getting posted.

7. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

Well I don't post a lot here but I have to question that statement LOL.:D

8. Dieselman

Wordward. Those are isolated problems related to user error. Not Comodo error. Just cause it happened to 2-3 people doesn't mean it will happen to you. Do you releaize how many people have Comodo on there pc's with no problems. Probably atleast 10,000 or more. I may be wrong about that number but whatever. So 2-3 people cannot account for a bad product. I am a GM mechanic and just cause a truck has a problem doesn't mean all the other thousands of people with the same truck will have that same problem. Mike and the OA team keep addressing problems but with each new release comes more and more problems. 30 releases later since .31 and they still cannot get it right. Somebody might have gotten a virus using Avast. Then does that mean you will stop using Avast and go to another av. Come on now think. PC Mag wouldnt have wrote that article if they thought Comodo was faulty. Most people just click allow or deny without ever reading what they are clicking. Every problem can be fixed easily and is not permanent.

Agreed. Spend time fixing real problems not user errors. If pay attention to what your clicking you should never have any problems.

EC edit: Combined 2 posts.
    Dieselman, once again: next time you want to add something to your previous reply, please use the EDIT button in stead of posting three more replies. Thank you.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

While off topic, this is an inaccurate statement. Yes there have been 30(Builds/not releases), but there have also been many new features added.

Take a look at the number of builds of other software between releases, and you might find 30 is a small number.

Pete

10. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I just wish there was no way that a user error could cause the problems I read about that some are experiencing with Comodo now, that's all. My wife uses my PC every so often instead of hers and although I doubt an intrusion may happen while she's using it or that if it does she wouldn't allow some nasty into my PC. But I believe I don't have to worry about a user error of hers locking me out of my PC with ZAAS or ThreatFire installed.

11. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Dieselman,do you know if 3.1 will have the leak protection missing from 3.0? I want to run the firewall without Defense +. Right now I am using 2.4.

i

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Yes, there will be leak protection option during install located under the basic install option. Look at my diagram below. CAVS 3 engine may also be included.

Installation Modes

Defence+

Basic Firewall
    Leak Protection

13. Dieselman

With any firewall there can be user error by simply clicking deny by mistake. No firewall is perfect. If any mistakes are made thats why you do daily back ups and use system restore if things go wrong.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Has anyone compared the number of posts in the ZoneAlarm Pro help forum to the number of ones in the Comodo Pro 3.0 help forum? While I understand there are a lot people who use Comodo, there are many many more who use ZoneAlarm Pro, and yet it looks as if the number of people who need help in the Comodo v3 help forum is increasing at a faster pace than the number of people who need help in the ZoneAlarm Pro help forum. Maybe version 3.1 of Comodo Pro will help with this.

15. Dieselman

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Woodward

Seems to me you are beating a dead horse. If you are worried about Comodo, then just don't use it. That's easy. No money lost. Just seems like you keep asking hoping eventually everyone will agree with you.

Pete

17. Dieselman

Comodo has one area for V3 help. Where as ZA has tons of areas. Add it up your self. There are tons and tons more complaints in ZA forums then Comodo's. There are over 4000 in just installation.

18. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

You do need to consider how long these have been available when making comparisons of this sort. The number of new users of the Comodo programs is increasing very rapidly. I would imagine that most ZA users have been familiar with it for years.

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

IMHO, Comodo is stable. But it has a learning curve, due to the fragmentation of the information tabs. And many people, don't want to read the help file. If you don't read the help file, you will soon need "forum help".

For example, why is this user even trying to run Comodo?
    http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/which_bit_version-t19079.0.html

If he can't tell if he is running 32 or 64bit Windows, he will become desperate soon after he starts using Comodo. What can that person understand from a D+ alert?

Or this "Comodo is blocking my exes".
    http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v...i_think_i_just_made_a_huge_mess-t18883.0.html

Is it trully Comodo's fault or the man's behind the keyboard that doesn't pay attention on what he clicks on pop up alerts? Why don't all others lock ourselves out too? Comodo with D+ is supposed to provide total lockdown from malware. If you are not careful enough, it is obvious that will block you out too. That's what HIPS are supposed to do. Same thing used to happen with classical HIPS, in case you were abbandoning learning mode before doing a reboot. It's like installing an armored antiburglar door on your house, you accidentally go out and shut the door behind you. Uh, oh... I forgot the keys and the simple locksmith says he can't open it. My door locked me out! Now i have to call the fire brigade... It's the door's fault...

Zone Alarm is easier to use. It doesn't have so many pop up alerts and the interface is less fragmented. Of course it doesn't have the same level of security either. But has its fair share of real bugs.

20. Dieselman

I couldnt have said that better myself. thank you. Maybe now Wordward will get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
  21. Dieselman

More and more people are moving to free protection ( Comodo, Online Armor ). Less people are using shareware so there number are decreasing and so is the need for help. Wih more and more people using Comodo and or Online Armor then the need for help is gonna go up. Fuzz is correct.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

I think also that Comodo HIPS are still very young and needs fine tuning. It took quite sometime for ZA to develop the ZA OSfirewall (the HIPS part), improve it and make it user friendly (balancing protection and usability).

It is not easy at all to find a good balance that will make everybody happy.
    Give to Comodo some more time... and they will get there (hopefully).

Than its FREE what do you want more?

Cheers,
    Fax

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Actually all I was hoping for was the reassurance that has now been given in this thread. I didn't get it in the Comodo forum however, and that was more of my concern than anything else. I will in most likely hood install Comodo Pro 3.1 this week and be happy, but again I do hope some kind of "safety net" is added to it in the future to prevent any possible user "lock out" problems. Thanks to everyone here who helped me feel better about Comodo and take care.

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

True. Comodo isn't suitable for everyone. It needs patience, basic HIPS knowledge and time to read help files. Personally i still think a bit before going to the right tab, when i want to inspect some settings. I don't remember them on the first click yet. Comodo's HIPS is a geeky one. It's like classical HIPS, while ZA follows a semi-automatic mode.

ZA on the other hand, can be set to make many things automatically (even by asking the ZA online database), it doesn't ask so many things and the user isn't necessary to know what a HIPS is. Also you are less prone to take some catastrophic decision.

But, as stated, Comodo is free, excellent in leak tests and very light even when handling many connections (CPU Time is very low). So, one must decide what can handle.

Wordward, it isn't enough to read a bug report only, but the description of the bug too. Now, if that fella were to go and say "Ι was merrily surfing when out of the blue, i couldn't execute anything", i would think it is a Comodo bug. But, when you see a person who says "I got a pop up alert, which i don't remember what it was about, and i clicked something, which i presume blocked something and then i couldn't execute files anymore", odds are, that he screwed up the HIPS rules by his own bad decision.

Unfortunately, people like him, are afflicted by the "happy clicking" syndrome. They use such a firewall, just because THEORETICALLY they are safe. But, if you are a happy clicker, you might as well drop Comodo alltogether and use ZAF. Because a classical HIPS, like D+, is only as good as the user behind it. If you click some pop up alert, that you don't pay attention too and take a decision that you don't remember etc, it means that for you HIPS is useless and you should move to another firewall... People like this, can easily get infected and then go again to the forum and say "Malware passed through D+!!!".

So, a bug report, must be critically read, to see the circumstances and the credibility of the person that reports it.

An explanation as to how he might have locked himself out, is already given in the thread.

After all, reboot in safe mode and uninstall isn't all that terrible... If couldn't boot into Windows at all, now that would be a problem.

25. Dieselman

Another good point Fuzz. I always read my pop ups and what they say. I never just click away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.