Anyone come across....

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ThunderZ, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have been looking for a dual-quad mobo based on the AMD Phenom. Has anyone one seen one or heard of one being developed?

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

ThundferZ

Seems to be quite a few

HERE

Some more

HERE

"According to AMD, MSI's board is currently the best pick, though."

REVIEW

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Afaik there are no motherboards that support dual Phenom cpus.

4. ThunderZ

Thanks Hairy Coo but did not see a dual quad board in the bunch.

@ WSFuser. That would seem to be the case. :'(

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Ahem-no:D

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im guessing that amd doesnt think that home users will need a dual socket motherboard. isnt quad core enough for you?
    what do you do with your rig?:D

7. ThunderZ

Everything.....and all at once if I ever get the chance and $$$ to build it. :D

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

9. ThunderZ

Thanks Innerpeace. But if this build ever comes together I`ll be going with AMD\ATI.

10. innerpeace

I just thought I would mention it. It would be good if AMD would come out with one. Just be sure to let us know the results when you get it built :thumb:.

11. ThunderZ

I do appreciate the info. Unless AMD does something fast their very existence is in question. At that point my new build would become a very distant dream. :(

Just got back on line after all 4 PCs decided to suffer various hardware\software failures. :'( The 2 lap tops are still down. My old Thinkpad is probably terminal. The Wifes` Gateway needs mobo work on the AC adapter plug-in.

Both our towers are back up and running with fresh installs of XP SP3. Mine is also sporting a (new to me) used WD 74 Gig Raptor. Got it from a good Friend (Thank you Steve) for $50. All it ever did was set in his tower for the swap file.

12. innerpeace

ThunderZ,

It sounds like you've had a rough time. Were all your problems just a coincidence or did you get a power surge or brownout that was the cause? Anyways, it's good to hear your back up and running :thumb:.

I also agree with you and hope for your sake and everybody's that AMD gets their act together. We all need them competing with Intel.

13. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

No i wouldn't hold your breath. The Phenom needs AM2+ socket and no dual exists. Opterons can do dual socket, even if existed the power consumption will be considerable and AMD need every competitive edge right now. A recent press release on AMD.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  14. ThunderZ

The Wifes` laptop problem is hardware\large dog related. Our rather rambunctious Black Lab has a habit of getting tangled in and jerking out the PS cord. :doubt: This seems to have loosened up the connector at the mobo connection point.
    My laptop seems to have been old age related. :'(
    The towers were both software related. She walked in one day to see a message that IE needed to update. Since she knows I have auto-updates turned off she clicked "cancel" and her system crashed. :eek:
    About a week prior to all this I started my XP64 up to find my User Account gone and only the Admin. working\available. o_O Being on a shared LAN with a Friends 5 PC setup I pulled the network cable to keep them out of possible malware :ninja: harms way. Have been working 6 days a week now for over a year so reformatting and fresh installs got put off a little longer then usual.

Not back to 100% yet.....but getting there. Her laptop gets a trip to the local Tech. shop very shortly and I have my eyes on a new factory customized ThinkPad R61e. Thanks.

Just read an article where AMD\ATI has some things in the works. To little to late? Time will tell.

15. ThunderZ

@ Markymoo. There may be HOPE.
    Have looked at the Opterons but being server oriented the increased $$$$ are a bit prohibitive. :blink:

16. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

note that you electricity bills will never be the same again with a dual slot mobo :D so its not just the purchase budget thats gonna be high,if u work long/intensively u'll get a surprise at the end of the month

17. ThunderZ

We all gotta have a hobby. Some are cheaper....some are`t. :rolleyes: Power consumption is one reason I really did not consider the Opteron series. :doubt:
    There is no rush on this build. If AMD dual-quad boards ever become available at the desktop level we will hope they are a bit more power friendly. The current info. on the AMD future releases say they will be. :cautious:

18. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

jep..cpu's tens to use less and less power..just out of curiocity what do u intend to use it for? and on which OS ? (im asking that because such a beast would go too waste on XP as core usage was not originally optimised since the OS is a 90's ;p ,Vista cover that i think...would be a shame not be able to use 8 cores over 25% from each)

19. markymoo

Yes thats the way it always been and on the Intel side. The Xeon servers or Skulltrail is expensive. If AMD did a dual socket enthusiast for Phenom it won't be cheap. The only one i know of that aimed at enthusiast was by Asus last year for quad core Opterons was the ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual for 680 chipset that takes regular memory and not server dimms but it was still expensive. So it no wise choice to go down that road for home use. Better to spend the money on a decent enthusiast motherboard and fast Intel chip and overclock further it and still have several hundred $ left over. I know you into AMD but i will mention my overclocked Intel Q6600 65mm of $200 is faster by 8% than the fastest chip on the market, the $1500 QX9775 45mm on all benchmarks in Sisoft Sandra and is also faster than some new Intel 5000 series Xeon server benchmarks. Sticking to AMD at all costs is very expensive if you want performance of that scale, i just dont see how that becomes a sane solution. The money i save going Intel path i could buy a another highend motherboard and chip.

20. innerpeace

Wow! Talk about a series of unfortunate events :ouch:. Start searching for a four leaf clover and a smaller dog :p.

You can have a look at this link, but I think they are mainly geared towards servers. It might have links to the ASUS MB/s that markymoo mentioned.

21. ThunderZ

Hope to do everything...and all at the same time. I have a habit of over building and under utilizing everything I do. May never realize its` full potential but it lasts forever......or until my next build. Whichever comes first.
    XP is the planned OS. For now. :doubt:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  22. ThunderZ

@ Markymoo
    None of the new build plans are etched in stone. I tend to start planning\saving for a new build well in advance. Usually by the time I do it, what started out as a cutting edge hi-end machine has become a middle of the road main stream rig due to the ever evolving technology. :( Would love to throw in a couple solid state drives in raid 0 too (not even sure that is possible). But $$$ and the current lack of capacity are a definite deterrent. :p

While speed is always a consideration in my builds, not a hard core Gammer. I build for stability and the ability to multitask first. Benchmarks are good but I go by the old "seat of the pants feeling". :D If it is faster and more capable then my previous rig then my mission was accomplished.

Regardless of the towers final components we all need to hope that AMD survives. Competition is a good thing. It keeps up the demand for improvement and the cost down to us the consumer.

23. ThunderZ

The dog is here to stay so I guess I better hope on finding that 4 leaf clover. :D

Have looked at Tyan mobos on occasion. The Wifes` tower is built on an old Tiger with an outdated single core Opteron. No where near being fast by to days standards but rock solid and does all she needs to do and then some. For being server based, Tyan was even offering PCIe. Have to say I am impressed.

24. markymoo

It loooks like the first generation Nehalem will be quite affordable coming Sept/Oct. That would be a better and cheaper upgrade.

25. ThunderZ

Appreciate the links and info. markymoo. Unfortunately my $$$$ just got depleted on home improvements. :eek: :doubt: o_O :doubt: :'(
    Had enough $$$ for a mild video card upgrade.

O-well, time to start penny pinching again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.