Anybody Use Anonymizer?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gigabyte, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabyte

Gigabyte Registered Member

Was thinking about getting a program to hide my ip address. anyone use this one or have another?

2. Gigabyte

Never mind. I did a trial and it made my connection slooooow!!!:eek:

3. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Pretty typical of all anonymizing proxies, since you have to route your connection through multiple computers, have connection errors, etc.

Doesn't really matter if your IP is hidden or not as long as all your ports are closed or stealthed.

Alphalutra1

4. Gigabyte

Ran at test at GRC and all ports are Stealth.:D

5. Alphalutra1

Then you are good to go! :D

Alphalutra1

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

If you use a good firewall your ports are stealthed, it is not the same as being anonymus. If you use an anonymizing proxie or service one wants to hide his/her IP for privacy reasons (not being tracked by anybody including ISP) and it will always be slow. Its just a by product of being anonymous, and one anomymizing service will be faster than another anonymizing service but it will still be relatively slow when compared with your regular conection. I use Tor + privoxy (free) http://tor.eff.org/ , the IP that other people see is not my IP and my connection is judged to be anonymus by a proxie rating service. I use http://www.proxyjudge.com/, there are other services out there. Like http://www.whatismyip.com/ or http://www.2privacy.com/cgi-bin/Check_IP_Geographic_Location.pl . Here is another anonymizing service JAP (free) http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html. I use Firefox browser with the switch proxy extension. I don't use the anonymizing proxie all the time, just when I am dealing with sensitive information.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  7. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

admuncher ,as well as being one of the best ad/pop up blockers also has an ip scrambler (anonymous proxy )feature that can be turned on and off from the sys tray icon "on the fly"
    ellison

8. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

I will recommend to use GhostSurf instead.

I subscribled to Anonymizer before and found out that it couldn't truly stealth your IP (those test sites still could detect your real IP, HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the actual IP).

I stopped using it after less than two weeks (although I paid for a year license). I did send query to anonymizer.com but could not get a satisfy answer. :(

Anyway, I do not have this issue using GhostSurf.

9. angus49

angus49 Registered Member

Does your ISP take issue with you hiding your IP?

10. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

No. They only take issue if you break their terms of service.
    Hiding your IP is perfectly legal.

11. Alphalutra1

All the ISP will see is that you have established a tunnel to a server somewhere else. All of your traffic is forwarded through that server, so people think that you and your computer is that server, not your actual IP. You can never hide your IP. You need it to access the internet. You can however make people think that you are located at another IP, thus fooling them ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

You can hide your IP, just not from your ISP. That what you were saying?

13. Alphalutra1

Yeah, it wasn't the most clear word choices now that I look back :ouch:, but what you said is pretty close to my point. However, you always have to have your IP assigned by your ISP. People who see you filesharing and surfing the internet through tor will see the tor server as your IP. However, anyone can do a port-scan still on your pc at home. So tor is more of a privacy protection utility than a security tool

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

14. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.