Any way to restore the Registry?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bertsirkin, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertsirkin

bertsirkin Registered Member

Is there a way to restore either specific registry entries or the entire registry with TrueImage 10 Home?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Not by any specific command. You can't restore specific registry entries but I imagine you could Mount/Explore the image and extract the registry file and then use the normal methods to import it. Take this with a grain of salt since I haven't done this since W98.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You can also use EruNT to backup the registry periodically just like you would use TI to backup the entire drive. EruNT is free and has the restore feature built in. I use it for whenever I am trying new software in case I have to uninstall the software. Most uninstall routines always leave traces of the software behind in the registry. EruNT takes care of that.

4. bertsirkin

Any idea where the registry file is stored? I can't seem to find any info on where it is in Vista.

Bert

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The registry isn't a single file but about nine or so files that are not normally accessible except through a registry editor that can build a representation of all the hives. Unless you have a tool specifically for that purpose, your best best is to do a Windows restore to a prior Restore Point or, if if a Windows Restore point is not available, then a full restore of the windows system partition.

You can find some info on the location of the regiatry file for some version of Win here. A little googling might help you find out if Vista is diff from the basic NT set up. In any event, you're better off using a registry backup-restore program like Windows Restore or erunt, etc.:

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/regfiles.htm

good luck,
    sh

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  6. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I was under the impression that on NT platforms the register was scattered amongst a number of files.

F.

7. bertsirkin

That's a good idea - something I'm not doing now, so it doesn't help with my specific issue. But something for the future!

I've never used EruNT but there seems to be some issues with it and Vista based on a cursory search. I'm pretty sure there's a command prompt registry backup - I just have to find it now!

Thanks,
    Bert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.