Any way to Check IP Address

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by AnthonyG, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hi, can i ask are there any web sites or places to go that will give me a totally accurate note of what my IP address is.

As i am curious as to how often mine changes but every website that gives peoples ip addresses seems to give me a different acount as to what mine is.

So i want a definite trust worthy answer to what my current ip is and what web sites see when i enter their site (i.e not my internal ip but my ip address that webmasters see when i use their web sites, as i think i read somewhere there are two ip's in every computer an internal never changing ip that no one but you sees and an external one that when you enter web sites the web master of that site sees, this is the one i want to know).

I asked AOL but they dont know.

Thanks

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

It seems you have a dynamic IP adres so it will change every time you connect to the internet.. If you were having a static IP adres it should be somewhere in your papers from the ISP.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

4. dog

dog Guest

5. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Some people have have fixed IP addresses that are permanent while others have static IP addresses that are leased to them temporarily.

I'm on cable and my IP address is static, it changes to a new one after 10pm tonight.

7. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

You usually have to pay your ISP extra to have an IP address that stays the same.

Is this not in FAQ, its asked so often.

Jimbob

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Static vs. Dynamic IP addresses..

Definitions

As the name implies Static IP addresses are the same every time you connect. dynamic IP addresses may change each time you connect to the network (e.g. Internet).

When you do NOT need static IP addresses

If you ONLY do things from the following list you do not need static IP addresses.

1. If you browse the Internet.
    2. If you send and receive e-mail via an offsite server (the normal method).
    3. If you download or upload files.
    4. If you use Instant message services or chat services.

When you need Static IP Addresses

You need one or more Static IP addresses if any of the following are true:

1. You run one or more Web server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
    2. You run one or more E-mail server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
    3. You run one or more FTP server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
    4. You run any other service or 'Application' that requires external access (from the Internet or an Extranet). Some Financial Terminal Client applications require that you have a static IP address for licensing purposes.
    5. You allow 'incoming' Video Conferencing you may need to use static IP addresses.

http://www.zytrax.com/isp/faqs/static.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.