any thoughts about Avira Free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Very good news :thumb:

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Keep resident protection enabled at all times and you won't have to worry about being infected in the first place. I'm sorry but this FREE program has better detection rates than many paid ones. As stated before, coupled with SAS and a few other programs and you have yourself a well protected system. Of course no program is perfect. It's the combination that makes it that much better!

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Why does everyone think this.... resident protection can be BYPASSED. Just because you have it on don't mean your invincible. :cautious:

It also has more False Positives then most paid ones. keep that in mind. :shifty: Avg person not watching what they are removing could end up with System bu bye. Most people click blindly when a program says something is bad. even when they should not. to much trust in those AV me thinks.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello toby,
    genrally yes malware should be stopped by the guard. but from past experience that when i last used it the guard had no self protection, update broke alot and it cannot clean an infected machines.
    it has self protection now, but the two other problems still stand.
    to suceed in the av industry you need to firstly detect the malware so no more users get infected but also clean it to cure the already infected users.
    for most infections it doesnt take much more time adding a cleaning routine before the update is sent out.

if some av companies can clean infected systems so can the rest if they choose not to its because they are lazy.
    i would like avira to prove me wrong fix the updator from breaking so often and offer better cleaning for all types of malware. with proof.
    i dont mean server issues i mean the updater just failing to start at all.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. Arup

Arup Guest

In the latest tests, FP issues with Avira have improved considerably, would rather have FP and be paranoid than get infected. As for removing, lets put it this way, Avira with its industry best detection rates will virtually block all the virus and malware before one gets infected. As a free or paid AV, it handsomely outscores some of its more costly and hyped counterparts. Its not invincible but its darn close to perfect.

6. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I don't have this problem. The automatic updater has worked fine for me. I never have to manually update. If I did then this would be a problem for me. Everyday it has the current sig file without me having to do anything.

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Neither have I, either with free or paid version.

9. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Same here.
    Using 2 free versions and 1 premium.
    FP's Have been almost nil also.
    I think I've had only 1 total on 3 systems. :)

10. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

Lodore,

I appreciate that you may personally have had a bad experience with AntiVir, and as they say S*** happens :eek: , but you really can't judge cleaning on one bad experience, or even a relative handful.

On a large scale test, such as this one, you can see that AntiVir compares similarly, in this regard, with many other products.

From Stefan's previous post, we can only assume that this cleaning rate will get better than those other similarly rated products ;)

Steve

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sigh.. to many Avira fan boys... to little knowledge.. so pointless to try to help.

12. Arup

Arup Guest

I see....... and fanboyz of lower ranked other AVs........they are harbinger of knowledge. Well us dumb Avira users prefer to live without knowledge and stay virus free as well.:D Classic case of sour grapes going on here I see. First they dis Avira cause they offer a free version that whups most of the paid ones, then they blame it cause it consistently outscores all in tests done by different sites. They nitpick its FP, its non existent updater issue. Maybe if Avira scores a bit low next time these fanboyz can relax a bit, otherwise sour grapes are killing them. Every tests done have become so predictable with Avira shining through all of them its just too boring now:D

I am a die hard XP x64 and Linux user, I am well aware of Mac OS and its apparent advantages as well, just because I don't use Mac doesn't mean I will go in a rant against it.

13. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

With 1,809 posts and counting I would sooner trust Arup's knowledge :D

14. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Well stated Arup! :thumb:

15. Boost

Boost Registered Member

LMAO , thanks for saying what alot of us wanted to say,but didnt have the correct wording!

All you haters on Avira, your too damn funny! :argh: :argh:

16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

AVIRA = CHUCK NORRIS

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Nah.............Avira is Bruce Lee period, there are many Chuck Norris out there, but there was one and only Bruce Lee.

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

LOL... Im not ranting against avira learn to read posts I simply said its removal rate sucks. that simple other then that I said it had good dection rate no dout just like what 5 other AV's that are at most 1% behind it in detection rate if that. it does have FP's it USED to be the king of FP's now not so much. please learn to read before you post.

also read this...

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2008_02.php

over HALF the AV's score above 95% any av that has a 95% or ABOVE detection rate is going to do AWESOME when it comes to detection heck there is even one on that that scores higher then Avira. anything that is in my Sig I test. right now its ZA for the heck of it, Eset is what I use to clean up if needed. I don't use avira not because I don't like it or because I think its inferior. I use eset because that's what has always worked for me. the OP asked for thoughts on what WE thought of the AV. so get a grip and grow up. :cautious:

post mean nothing..... you can post HI in a forum and get a post up. it depends how many of those posts were useful and how many were not. there is AV Experts here with post LESS then his dont mean there dumb means they wait tell they have something to say to say it.

Edit. Also Longevity here means NOTHING for the background of the person talking some could be AV engineers some could be average joe's never bet your money on a post count.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  19. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

thanks!

20. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I can see a mod intervening if people don't calm down.

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hy ya spinning back Kick.:blink:

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm willing to hear any.
    nothing so far :D

23. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

What if there is a new virus that isn't detected firstly by resident protection? It must be detected by manual scanning then. So theorically there is a chance that cleaning fails.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Well what do I know...........I am just a dumb Avira user:) Avira scored higher in Advanced proactive tests as well and its overall detection rate is higher than most. Admit it, you are just plain simply jealous thats all. You need to grow up and stop being a typical jealous schoolboy.

If you can read, take a look here, http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/03_13a.xml

In every tests thrown at it, it scores a ++ or + including FPs where it does better than its competitors. It also gets a + in cleaning, pray tell me what else can it do to please you? Cook your dinner ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Jealous wtf are you smoking dude read my posts..... you keep going off one way that I never did. get a grip read some posts. and for the record I never called anyone dumb. I simply said no one was listening that's all. quit trying to start a fight when none is there to begin with. :rolleyes:

This tread Hi-jack is over with unless you want to post about something more along the lines of what the OP asked for. I wont be responding to anymore of your posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.