any thoughts about Avira Free?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I have no clue why ppl use on-demand scans anyway... Thats so pre 90's stuff...

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

There is no need to perform on demand scans other than the initial scan after installation of an av.What is important is an updater that doesn't fail and regular updates.While avira may have improved in this department ,i think it is far behind avast and avg.I think youll find most opinions will be comparing it to other avs (which ive just done regarding the updates).Its probably best to just ask your friend to try it and see how he gets on.If he/she doesn't have any problems then stick with it.
    ellison

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well it may not be the real world testing but windows defender passed every spycar test for me.

4. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

Err - to see if existing files are detected with updated definitions?

5. ellison64

??....If there is detection to be made the realtime scanner would detect it.If it doesnt ,neither would the on demand scanner.
    ellsion

6. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

Not if that file isn't accessed.

But yes, I agree that it's largely a moot point:)

Steve

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    some on demand scanners have options that the realtime protection doesnt have due to the slowdown it would cause. or off as default on the realtime guard.
    if you think your infected the easiest way to do a check quick is to update your av and run a quick or full on demand scan.

8. ellison64

Usually these would be in archives which are dormant anyway and not a threat.When unpacked the resident scanner would catch them.....rather like antivir free lack of email scanner....which still protects as it scans the file on write to the disk anyway.
    ellison

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

genrally yes but what about active rootkits?

10. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

if you have a powerfull Ram 1 or 2 GB

i recommanded you to use avira free (on-demand) with kav 2009 if you want a high protection rate!!! but if not use just avira its realy great and have a powerfull detection rate!!!

11. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

That is not true because I got infected with Avira on and it was un detected.When I did on demand scan it was detected.Sent sample to Avira it is was the real deal.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

All the detection in the world means crap...... if you cant remove it. :eek: Its kind of like going to the doc. and him saying your sick and then charging you 60 bucks and not giving you anyway to get over it. :argh: Would in a way seem kind of pointless. don't you think ?

13. 031

031 Registered Member

NO.
    It is not a cleanig tool ,it is an ANTIVIRUS . If the realtime protection is on then you will have to work very hard to infect yourself . But if you turn it off , infect yourself and want your av to clean your machine then the problem is with you , not with the av. It is desined to work on access not on demand .

And about avira ... from my personal experience i think avira is the lightest and fastest one out there. Last year i had some problems with false positives but i think they have improved on that sector . And the new version just rocks . Avira free + sas + mbam is a great combination .

cheers :)

14. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

True, but once detected, aren't there ways to remove? All I am pointing out is that Avira has one of the best detection rates out there. It doesn't mean it's the best security application, but it should be taken into consideration IMO.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  15. zer0l0gic

zer0l0gic Registered Member

And KIS 2009 is superior? :eek: :argh: :argh:

All that KIS 2009 has done for me is caused BSOD's, browser issues and general slowdowns. Quality...? :blink:

16. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

I Agree with you kaspersky has been rushed on releasing this new Ver ، but now they try all what they can to solve all the problems and some of them has been fixed ;)

and yes KIS 2009 Is superior :thumb:

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

With avira free you'll get the best protection against malware out there (minus the spyware detection, which you can complement with the use of a dedicated AS program). Avira is one of the 'lightest' AV's around. Cons? you have to create your own update schedule to force the program to update more frequently, that's if you wish to do so (default is set to check for updates once per day). Also, you'll be nagged by an annoying 'full screen ad' every time the program has been updated. FWIW, i performed my own last 'in-house test': avira 'free' detected more malware than any other av solution, including my beloved kav :cool:

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

yes its a ANTI - VIRUS....... read that carefully...... ITS SUPPOSED TO REMOVE.... tell me what is the point in something that cant fix what is brokein. its not there to tell you OOO you have a virus.. BE HAPPY!. Ill keep telling you your personal information is leaving your computer right now.. and do nothing about it. but hey I have a Umbrella. so Smile! :cautious:

and there IS. Lighter faster AV's out there that detect and REMOVE. the problem. also ;)

why go searching around the web as your computer is infected with a virus tryin to figer out how to remove it... that just seems..... well...... dumb. :eek:

anyways Avira is fine has awesome detection.. the OP wanted thoughts about avira.. plain flat truth is it sucks when it comes to removal I'm simply pointing that out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  19. Arup

Arup Guest

The only weakness if any of Avira and other AVs except for some is that most are unable to remove stubborn infected system files in use and only those who can scan at boot time are able to effectively remove such viruses provided they have the right detection.

20. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Q2 update will improve the ability to handle locked infected files. Buh-bye Vundo!

21. Arup

Arup Guest

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

better late than never. maybe you can then work on removing easy to remove malware as well.

23. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Agreed, removal is an issue. However, I am also pointing out that it's not all that an antivirus can be used for. Personally, I use various tools such as an antivirus for the sake of DETECTION.

You can have a great remover, but if it doesn't detect anything, then it's fairly useless as well.

Don't we all wish there was a antivirus that would be great in DETECTION, REMOVAL, and FREE? </end wishful thinking>

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  24. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

IMO I don't mind paying for a AV. they worked countless months to make the product the way it is make it able to detect and remove. I'm sorry but the techs don't live on charity. and do need support from time to time. so Paid is fine for me and I never have felt I was jiped for what I pay for. Also there is and I quote (great in DETECTION, REMOVAL, and FREE?) you just have to look around. ;)

25. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

A good antivirus is the only software worth every cent you pay for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.