Any Spooks here?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Checkout, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

i am old enough to remember that, and the drills----never did feel very secure hiding under those school desks.
    But i do sleep better just knowing there are people out there like the members, and grateful to have the internet to have been able to know this and meet many of them.

also, i do hope gov't intelligence visit the security boards----hopefully, they will also learn how to better secure their pc's! now that would help me sleep better (personally).

Checkout, i don't think anyone working for a gov't' secret service is actually going to come in and post who they are and what they are (mind you, it'd make for a great conversation!)....but i'll bet they've probably already posted a few comments here and there. ;)

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Snappy post, snapdragin!

In response to Bethrezen: you can go to Tucows or ZDNet to find freeware encryption programs. I went to ZDNet and so here are a couple of sites with freeware programs.

http://www.pgp.com/

http://encryptmyemail.com/

And, here are the links to ZDNet and Tucows:

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/

http://www.tucows.com/

Hope these links help you out! :)

3. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Well, drawing on experience from people formerly in the intelligence community, the amount of info awash in the net precludes individual inspection, unless programs currently in place lock on key words or phrases recognized in dozens of languages. Doesn’t matter what medium it travels either. An arm of the Echelon program, it wasn’t allowed domestically, but was circumvented many years ago using Canada as a proxy for domestic surveillance. This board is far too benign to capture attention from the spook community, unless you imply a specific threat or wish to discuss sedition. Not likely around here.

I don’t put much weight on encryption. Echelon isn’t interested in encrypted traffic that’s normally encrypted. But two private PC’s using it outside established profiles are routinely copied into enormous banks of Super Cray’s with decrypting capabilities beyond your wildest imagination, even 168 bit triple DES, despite what skeptics think. To keep it lean, if encrypted discussions are found to be benign, the source is eliminated from future capture. There’s only one way to encode to ensure truly private communication, but probably not appropriate to keep rambling on here. Later Gators.

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

how do I encrypt "Hmm..."?

5. Rickster

Rickster Guest

Hi Checkout. Actually the best way to encrypt “Hmm” to someone is for both of you to have a common reference. Say you both have a copy of the book Moby Dick and the expression “Hmm” appears on page 121, Line 42, 8th word. I would send 121:42:8. The numbers are merely pointers to “Hmm.” Computers can numerically sequence documents of any type or size. You both insert a floppy of your identically sequenced copy of Moby Dick and the resulting correlations are made in your own unique program.

The encrypted expression “Hmm” is never actually in transmission, ergo, without a common frame of reference, useless information to anyone else. Randomize the pointers, apply strange rules known only to you both – Alfa numeric variations, chapter paragraph references on even numbered days, use something big and obscure like the Concordance to the Greek Septuagint - and there you go. Encrypt randomized pointers and the poor sap is still lost even if he does break it. A form of this is why you get challenged to “Break the Code and win a New Jaguar.” May as well be a Lear Jet - safe challenge since it will never be broken absent the reference and all the goofy rules you applied to it. ;)

6. Checkout

12:9:4, 37:1:10 39:4:4 64:18:3 90:31:7 108:2:11.

(From my first novel, which you'll now have to rush out and buy.)

7. root

root Registered Member

Checkout, you can't say that here! Shame on you. :D

8. Checkout

Hey, I can say anything I like! You don't know the title of the novel and besides it hasn't been published yet! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.