Any special recommendations for 64-bit?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Defcon, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I just ordered a new laptop for my brother and chose Vista 64-bit as it'll have 4gb RAM. Do all the security suites/anti-virus work well with x64, are there any that I should stay away from etc?

I am considering either Avira or Norton because those are the ones I'm familiar with, but open to suggestions.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! / AVIRA

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I have used Bitdefender ( it was one the first with a complete x64 engine and not use WOW). As per most tests, its pretty good in detection and its resource usage is also low.

But I didn't test/use for long. Driver issue in Vista 64 and since its a DELL. I have to wait until DELL packages the updated drivers !!!

Hope that was of help.

4. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Registered Member

There may be other options available, but I see by myself panda2009 products running on 64 bits machine nice and smoothly :)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Avira is a good choice. Most of the others (Norton, McAfee, Panda, etc) run fine on x64 also. On my Vista x64 I have used Avast and Avira mostly, but also tried Norton, Panda, McAfee and Nod32. No issues seen....

I am partial to Avast at the moment....

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira and Avast works fine under x64, Avast was the first one to come out with a x64 compatible AV for XPx64. The latest Avast installs in the program files instead of program files (x86) and as per their web site has x64 kernel level protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.