Any security issues with Direct Connect program?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Chris Johnson, Mar 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wondering if any members have heard of any security issues with the program called Direct Connect, a P2P file sharing program, before I install it...Cheers  Chris

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Re: Any security issues with Direct Connect progra

I've never heard of it, but with any of these file sharing products (or any product) you can do a couple of things.

1)Use Inctrl5 to document exactly what has changed during the install. Beware of seemingly unrelated executables placed on your machine in different locations than the main install folder, and reg entries to start them at boot.

2)have a decent firewall that can catch sneaky connections. Be warry of connections made when the program is not supposed to be running.

3)scan the install folder "eight ways from sunday", especially with progs that have good heuristics.

4) Always remember that free programs of this nature often try to generate income other ways. Your part in this is sometimes not well explained by the help.

5)The unethical nature of these programs does give you an idea of how much the coders will try to protect your privacy. After all, they know full well they are contributing to copyright infringement, what's a little "info gathering" on the side?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re: Any security issues with Direct Connect progra

Many P2P file sharing programs come with additional "bonus features" these days to generate income (as Unicron said) - i.e. spyware.

Unfortunately, many of the newer version of spyware are getting harder to remove - some even hook into the Windows tcp/ip stack.

I would also recommend using a product like AdAware (from http://www.lavasoftusa.com ) to detect spyware (although there are a couple thing this product does not detect, it is DEFINITELY better than nothing).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.