Any Recommendations on a encrypted flash drive??

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by WannaLearn, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WannaLearn

WannaLearn Registered Member

I am looking for a good encrypted flash drive but i have read a lot on companies leaving back door access and i am not sure what to get. I am a bit of a noob but i am fascinated with computer security and i am trying to learn linux and other cool things. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at a NEW Kanguru Defender2000 Hardware Encrypted Secure USB Flash Drive FIPS 140-2 Le at the moment. Thanx

2. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

Don't know about Kanguru but have you looked at Ironkey?
    Great if you can afford it but encrypting a standard flash drive is just as good and may be better. All depends on whether you trust hardware encryption or open source encryption software.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've my usb drive encrypted with TrueCrypt. No need for hardware encryption. TrueCrypt is fine.:thumb:

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

5. WannaLearn

Wow thank you for the link KareldJag that is a perfect guide for me since i am a new to this. I have come across true crypt a lot from reading threads on this website but it seemed to complicated to me. I think i am gonna try it out on a reg flash drive.:)

One more question so if i bought a reg encrypted flash drive is it still possible to add truecrypt to it in the future if i wanted? Kinda like a double layer? My main goal is to have a portable secure flash drive with all my stuff on it when i travel.

6. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

Should be no problem to add Truecrypt to a hardware encrypted flash drive.
    May be a performance hit but probably not.

Truecrypt is a great tool and I think your caution about it's complexity is a good thing. Fairly simple to use it to encrypt a thumb drive. Stay away from encrypting hard disks on your PC/Laptop until you have used it for a while and read the manual through at least twice.
    And one final warning!!! Always make a backup copy of your data before encrypting!

7. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi
    A combo of software and hardware encryption is possible but hardware encryption is already robust and enough.
    There is easy to use alternative to TC, like Rohos mini drive that i recommend to avearge users http://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-mini-drive/

And if it is possible to build a secure, encrypted and portable environmenet on a USB key for free, ready to go solutions already exist like some IronKeys
    http://www.ironkey.com/en-US/windows-to-go-drives/
    But it is not necessary to carry all our files on a usb flash drives, as cloud storage services can be accessed from Nuuk to Ushuaïa...

Rgds

8. WannaLearn

I went ahead and purchased a Kanguru Defender 2000 - FIPS 140-2 Level 3 Certified Secure Encrypted Flash - 16GB for now. I also grabbed a reg old flash drive so that i can experiment with true crypt. I don't feel comfortable with saving my stuff on a flash drive i created myself yet. I am starting to experiment with new software programs i have picked up from this website but i'm moving slowly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.