Any problem with Microsoft activation after migration?

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Ian Jaffray, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian Jaffray

Ian Jaffray Registered Member

Hello,

I have a couple of questions:

1) After using Migrate Easy to copy the contents of a boot drive to a larger boot drive, does XP or Office, or any other products requiring activation have any difficulties, given that the physical characteristics of the drive have changed?

2) I'm hoping to migrate the contents of my boot drive, a 73GB SCSI to a new 147GB SCSI. Currently the drive is FAT32 and I'd like the larger drive to eventually be NTFS. I'd rather not convert the drive to NTFS until I least have a working duplicate of the contents, but my question is can Migrate Easy convert between FAT32 and NTFS on the fly during the migration?

Thanks for your help,

Ian J.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis System Transferring Software.

Please be aware that Windows or any other Microsoft software will not require activation after cloning is finished in case you replace your old hard drive with the new one on the same computer.

If you are interested in transferring the operating system to a different hardware (excluding the hard drive) then you should use Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article before cloning. This will require reactivation of Windows and other programs installed within the operating system.

I'm afraid that Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 does not allow you to change the file system of partitions on your hard drive during the cloning process. Probably this feature will be implemented in future.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. Ian Jaffray

Ian Jaffray Registered Member

Thanks very much for the information, Kirill. I appreciate the clarification on when the sysprep tool would need to be used, which I understand from your note would not be necessary in my case, as the new drive will sit on the same hardware are the original drive.

Ian J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.