Any Necessary Precaution before install of winxp sp2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bounty69sx, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bounty69sx

bounty69sx Registered Member

Can sombody please suggest some precautionary measures that i should take before installing sp2. I already did the back-up of personal files. Other than that what else? Is there anything I should do to ZA or NAV for example? I'm just trying to have a smooth install as possible. Don't want any unnecessary headaches. :)

Thanks... :)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you are using ZA 5.1.011 I would uninstall it, it will lock your machine solid, be it straight away or within a short period of time, they have a new release coming out soon... In the meantime you can use a previous release 4.5.594 that works without an issue...

NAV, I would just disable, provided you are installing offline. And then you should be all set to go...

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

the zone alarm current beta works well with SP2, if u have a D-Link modem it may cause problems, not all of their drivers have been upgraded.

its really not that big of a deal, sp2 is ok.

4. SirLance

SirLance Guest

I would run Disk Defragmenter on the drive you are installing Sp2
    and then uninstall all third party software.
    Also, disable Firewall and disconnect from internet.

Good luck

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

If you just make a backup image of your C: partition before putting on SP2, you will be covered. In the worst case, you can restore it back.
    Installed on several machines so far, no major problems. Didn't need to defrag or uninstall anything. I did deactivate PG, TDS-3, and NOD32 during the process though. After SP2 install, a few machines had ZAP 5.0.? and they would have ZAP close up. The new ZAP 5.5 beta seems to be working well so far. Don't forget to do the Office Updates too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  7. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

8. Untouchable J

Untouchable J Registered Member

Follow these steps:

What to do before installing SP2

Also make sure you've disable your FW, since Windows FW comes enabled at default (you'll need to disable it). Also make sure you've upgraded your BIOS, upgraded all your drivers, and your computer is clean of spy/adware and malware.

-J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.