Any idea when OA vista will come out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kees1958, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Not on Vista, but Mike promised a nice new feature in the free version:

A) When you deselect the "warn me when an unknown program runs"
    B) You get the option to run all unknow program automatically as 'run safer'

Great for people who take care of the security of their home PC, your family members are not bothered with pop-ups (and the risk of them choosing allow + remember), but new unknown program code can run without doing damage.

Every now and then you check the programs list (on the grey ones you still have to make a decision) and make the apropriate decision.

A step advance in security (no wrong decisions of other family members) and ease of use!

So any one any news?

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

There's Vista Beta already. Sadly not Free version :( There is already that run all unknown blah blah option. Not sure about Free version.

3. Kees1958

Bla bla as in short for or bla bla as in useless feature?

I think it is a great improvement on security and usability (and listening to users). When Mike discussed it, he said he would also make it available in the free version (but I think OA, TF, EQS, Returnil and SafeSpace are way to good applications to give for free, so I would not mind when he changes his mind).

Regards K

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

IMHO, you are dead right, users get what they pay for. If they pay zero and get some function why complain? Has anybody ever used a tool like say Spyblaster which now is vista compatable and NOT donated?

Those who pay should get some value for their $ or SW firms would become charities dependant on donatations only. We would be left with M$ as a 100% monopoly. Not a pretty picture.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Run Safer is definitely not useless. I thrown stuff at it and anything that is protected by lowered rights is equally protected by this feature. Going to have a play with the automatic part of the feature later.

6. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

bla bla = I'm too lazy to write that hole line :D

It's very nice feature.

7. munckman

munckman Registered Member

Kees1958,

There is really nothing that needs attention with respect to the greys. You can delete them if you want as they are kinda irrelevant. I have found that some greys will potentially be needed at a later date and have both allowed and trusted them so that OA would not ask about them again. However, OA no longer flags the one program that comes to mind with a grey entry. That program would start a service that would not be started again until that same program started it the next time it needed it. If I had just allowed it, after the next reboot, OA would show it as a grey.

Check out greyed out program entries... or Grey Highlight.

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Run safer is not much of an issue in Vista because if UAC is on everything "runs safer". The same could be said for XP in LUA or even by using the free utility "drop my rights".

9. Kees1958

Diver you are right on Vista, but . . .

With this option enabled you can set UAC in quiet mode: reducing the pop-up to a minimum, still having registry and file protection and IE7 in protected mode plus all programs will start in LUA.

Now comes the benefit, when an unknown programs does an elevation request, it would always be caged by run safer.

I agree that is a lesser issue under vista than XP, but I tested this UAC in quiet mode and only one anti-rootkit program succeeded to install without asking for admin rights. So this is the reason why full UAC is better than quiet UAC, only full UAC does not remember (first Vista experience with UAC felt like having a retarded 90-year old HIPS on board, who kept asking and asking the same questions). Note at our vista PC I also have disabled automatic installer recognition to reduce the risk of queietly installing a program (without elevation prompt in UAC in queiet mode). In quiet mode you will still get elevation requests on some system setup changes, registry (HKEY LOCAL MACHINE) and file protection (Vista system directories).

So also on Vista you can use UAC in quiet mode with this perfect new Online Armor feature for mitigation of unkown threats in a user friendly way.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Kees1958

Diver you are wrong on XP,

The thing is that UNKNOWN programs are kept in LUA, you can not achieve this with drop my rights (with DMR you already know the program name/link)

Regards Kees

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.