Any good freeware rollback/restore software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by BrysonB, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrysonB

BrysonB Registered Member

I now have an app for imaging and restoring my HD. But I would prefer that to be my final option. I'm looking for a replacement for XP's system restore. My only money for security went to Image for Windows. So RollbackRX is, at the moment totally out of the question. Is there a decent free alternative available? If not, is there anything equivalent to RollbackRX but cheaper? If not, I will just have to wait and hopefully won't need a restore.

2. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

3. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Windows SteadyState is not a rollback tool. It's like Returnil, which deletes (or saves) any changes made after rebooting. I recommend checking out FirstDefense-ISR Rescue. It is somewhat similar to Rollback Rx in that it offers you to take snapshots, albeit only two.

4. BrysonB

Thanks for the replies! Bensec, after reading about SteadyState, it does look like Returnil which I already have. I'm looking for a replacement for XP's restore. ambient_88, I will look at FirstDefense-ISR Rescue, but I really would like a more permanent solution. Much to think about.

I just looked at FirstDefense-ISR Rescue again. It looks like what I need and it's price isn't too bad. ambient_88, you said that it offered to take only two snapshots. Is this the paid program or is there a crippled free one? I didn't find one on their site.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There is no free version of FDISR.

Pete

6. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

The answer is NO

7. BrysonB

Thanks for the input. It never hurts to ask although it looks like I'll have to wait until I can purchase FirstDefense or Rollback RX.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Rollback RX is currently around $69. The cheapest alternative i've been able to find is AyRecovery which is the same software under a different name, its only $50. There are others like eaz-fix and radix reload which i wasn't able to find a price on, i think you have to email them for a price quote.

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

You can get discounts on Rollback Rx if you download the trial and/or sign-up for writing a testimonial.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeh i believe its a 15% discount last time i checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.