Any freeware tray clock recommendations?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm looking for a good freeware tray clock program as a replacement for the standard WindowsXP clock.
    I used Sarbyx TrayClock for a long time, then took it off for awhile, and when I put it back, I started getting some strange system behaviors, so I don't want to go that route again.
    Hopefully some of you have a favorite.
    I don't want to pay. :)

2. culla

culla Registered Member

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
  7. ruinebabine

8. axial

axial Registered Member

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Great recommendations! Thank you, all.
    I particularly appreciate when personal experience is noted.
    (Actually, saying you have no personal experience with the program is helpful, as well.)
    :)

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hey ruinebabine... I just read on Gizmo's that LClock doesn't allow a simultaneous time and date display. :( That's a requirement in what I'm looking for. Are they correct in that?

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi culla... Do you know if ClocX allows for a simultaneous time and date display?

13. sded

sded Registered Member

Attached Files:

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am trying the one from GAOTD- it has several different clock skins available and a few calendars.

Attached Files:

15. ruinebabine

I very much like the looking of this one (I had a free kinda desktop/screensaver very similar that I used for a good while back then, I will check in my backyard if I could'n find it there).

I will give this a try, thanks.

16. ruinebabine

Please check this comment there:

-----
    Dear Gizmo,
    In your review of LClock you said:

LClock doesn't allow a simultaneous time and date display. Ah, perfection is so elusive ;>)

I have discovered that you can get today’s date & time displayed simultaneously if you:
    • go to LC properties
    • click on the Clock tab
    • change “show” to Day of Month
    • choose 12 hour time
    • Apply

You should now have hour shown full size & minutes & date shown about half size. I have italicized my date to differentiate it from the minutes.

Regards,
    Clive

-----

EDIT As for myself, I prefer to just hover my mouse there (or single click on her to pop the little calendar) when I am too blurred <;o) to be sure of the date or day I am on. And please forget that flat skin I am under right now: I prefer to let you experiment with the nice effects you can achieve with playing with this tiny toy;-)) LC.png

(...and I always also keep on or under my desk some PowerPro bar available to complete the job PPro.png )

And feel free to ask any question, I am using this one for so many years, after having had tclockX for another good while...

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I like it too, except I can't keep it where I want it to stay on the desktop, despite using the "lock window position" feature, and Online Armor really flips out over this program, saying it is a keylogger. :(

Attached Files:

18. sded

sded Registered Member

I use DSClock in both Vista and W7 with OA++. I don't get a keylogger indication (I have it trusted though), so try trusting or else excluding it in OA. It also stays where I put it-what does it do when you use it? Check the settings in case there is a sizing mismatch (I think I recall the characters can overflow the field sometimes if you don't have margins).

Attached Files:

19. culla

culla Registered Member

yes it does plus its got many skins and alarm as well i use it

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi sded... Yes, I can trust it in OA, but it is interesting to watch the program's behavior when OA isn't told to exclude it or trust it. I'm not real clear on why this program generates keylogger alerts, and honestly, I also am not real keen on allowing it to function freely until I know more.

The inability to keep the clock where I want it to stay is discouraging, and perplexing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail. I also excluded it in OA to see if that was causing the "lock window position" feature to not work, but no dice. The program first opens the clock in the upper right area of the desktop, and I am trying to relocate it to the system tray, to reside on top of the Windows tray clock. If I put it there, lock it, then exit the program, upon reopening, it shows up in the top right again. Same thing if I reboot when it is in the systray... it does not remember the location.

I have emailed the developer with my experiences.
    (I also checked the character settings per your suggestion.)

21. ruinebabine

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi ruinebabine... thanks for the solid input.
    I'm taking a break from testing trayclocks for a few hours.
    I plan on trying LClock at some point, since you have assured me that it does allow a simultaneous time and date display.
    :thumb:

23. sded

sded Registered Member

I see your alert is actually for a screen logger, which sounds more like what the program does than a keylogger. The moving sounds like contention with a higher priority that won't let it stay there. Have you tried turning "always on top" on and off? There may be a restriction on where you can put it because of that. Hope you hear from the developer; I have been happy with it for several years as a screen clock.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There were OA keylogger alerts as well, as you'll see below. When I mentioned that OA flipped out, I mean it was throwing lots of alerts, with numerous keylogger and screen logger references.

Have I tried turning "always on top" on and off? Just on. The program is off my computer for now. If I reinstall it, I will try the "always on top" off.

Edit in: By the way, what does dsclock do that makes you say it is like a screen logger?

Attached Files:

25. sded

sded Registered Member

Interesting. I don't get any alerts from OA 4.5.0.334 and didn't previously, with the program trusted. As far as what it does, I think it is just the interaction with the rest of the things on the screen that can cause some alerts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.