any file redirection tool out there?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rice4lunch, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

I have a program on usb stick that runs really slow compared to running on hdd. The problem is that the temp files and data files are stored in the same folder on the usb stick. I want my data to be portable, but the program does not come w/ anyway to config this. Is there a tool/script that'll allow me to redirect just the temp files to my %temp% folder?

thanks.

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Make a junction point on the stick that points to the temp folder on the hard drive. You can use junction.exe from MS or Link Shell Extension

3. rice4lunch

I thought junction.exe is for folders only, or am I wrong? I need something like hard links on linux because the temp files,data files, and appz are in the same folder together.

4. rice4lunch

oh, that link you gave me talked of fsutil.exe which did the job for me.
    thanks mate.

5. rice4lunch

I was wrong, it didn't work. hardlinks are only for the same volume. can't work with usb to hdd.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I thought the temp files were stored in a folder. That's why I recommended junction points. Maybe you could load the program into a ramdisk.

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

8. rice4lunch

thanks, i tried this but it says i'm missing some dll.

I've made some dummy temp files and set it to readonly. The prog seems to have stopped writting to these temp files. Yet the program is still running slowly on usb stick. Is it modifying the files in background then discarding the data? I was sure its the temp files because I used thinapp on the app and data files. the program runs fast on usb w/ sandbox set to %appdata%. its only running slow when the sandbox is set to usb.

I'm out of ideas. Let this be a lesson to all programmers to always separate data, temp, and app files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.