Any current Unseen.is (or soon,former) email users having problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by phkhgh, Dec 25, 2020.

1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

For those unfamiliar, [Unseen.is] is an email / chat / calling? provider, claimed based in good ol Iceland.
    Looks like I stopped getting email from Unseen.is in early Nov 2020.
    Yesterday, tried fetching msgs w/ Thunderbird & got popup for "Wrong Site" (name) on their security certificate. See attachments.

You can see a similar cert to what Tb shows, here: https://unseen.tw/; then R-click on the page (in Firefox, anyway) & view Page Info > Security tab > View Certificate. (Y'day, certs for some Unseen pages were expired - several days, but they may have fixed it.

Cert (click "view" on popup) is issued by Let's Encrypt Authority x3.
    Indeed, it shows "Common Name: mx01.unseen.tw", not the unseen.is I've used in Tbird (Tb) for yrs (".is" = Iceland).

And the cert that Tb shows has: Validity dates: "Not Before 11/2/2020," "Not After 1/31/2021." The "Not Before" date is suspiciously close to when I last got email. So it's good for 3 moo_O

FWIW, the cert also shows "Subject Alt Names: DNS Name mail.unseen.tw." It appears they meant this for email - or something; not just mixed up a cert for a web site with their mail servers.

I don't know the full implications of the cert showing unseen.tw, (if) you wanted to make an exception in Tb to accept it. In my mind, Iceland, Germany, Norway are different than Taiwan for foreign email locations. Regardless, making a temporary certificate exception in Tb, doesn't allow me to send / recv mail.

I don't know if the "mx01" part is changed from past - never looked at their certificate.

Did any Unseen users get email notice or a reply from contacting support, that they were changing their domain to what seems to be Taiwan location (.tw)? If you visit most of their pages, notice the buttons in top, right - using Asian lettering.
    And if they are / did change to unseen.tw, does it mean you have to create a new acct - on their site?

Because, months ago their "support" replied to me - they aren't offering any new free or paid traditional EMAIL accts. Regardless of what their site says. They said go thru the "email sign up" & it'd lead thru signing up for their P2P plan.

They plan on using some P2P system for transmitting email.
    Which might mean my "lifetime" email acct might disappear.

A lot of web searching only turned up a few users recently asking what's going on, but don't think they mentioned a certificate warning or changed country code. If you browse to some of their old https://*.is web pages, many now use "tw" country code, but their documents still say they're in Iceland.
    thunderbird-unseen.tw-certif.error-wrong.site_2020-12-24.png thunderbird-warning.unseen.tw.certificate.has.wrong.name.png

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.