Any Conflicts with FirstDefense + ATI + PerfectDisk?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Minimax2000, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR works with listed folder/file names to anchor data in a snapshot, not volumes.
    So it doesn't matter how big the volume is.

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm also lookin at Acronis True Image 10 Home Edition to backup my entire system, applications/music etc, it looks like its a good buy, Any feedback on this at all?

3. ErikAlbert

Run the trial version of ATI first before you buy it and test the backup and above all the restoration.
    Include the MBR in the restoration and that will restore EVERYTHING like it was before. No need to enable/disable the Pre-boot screen in FDISR. I'm doing this already for more than a half year without any problems.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Don't die, but I think you've blown your argument that you don't need an imaging program.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Gosh, this is all to freaky for me, Ok clarify something for me please, If something happens like it did before, will I be able to restore to the hidden partition(as I dont have an extra hard drive) ATI mentions, because I dont have the CD Its a download purchase. Also if the previous error in the previous post should occur again (God Forbid) This is freaking me out, do I backup to DVD+R/RW or just this Hidden partition thing. Ive never used stuff like this before.

6. ErikAlbert

1. An external USB 2.0 harddisk is the very best choice.
    2. A second internal harddisk is also good, but not that safe because it isn't OFF-LINE.
    3. CD/DVD's aren't safe as backup media, they crash more than harddisks. They are too slow to be practical.
    4. A separate partition on the same harddisk [C:] is not good. If your harddisk crashes you lose everything.

7. Peter2150

Erik is ever so right. If you can pick up an external hard drive. CD's and "secure zones" etc just don't do it. Depending on the computer, if you do a full disk image with ATI, it might pick up the hidden partition. Depends on whether it's really a partition, or just files hidden some how, which some manufacturers do.

Pete

8. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i try a little test in ifw/ifd with phylock and fdisk with perfectdisk. i created image through ifw + phylock and restore by using ifd. im suprise, the pre-boot menu of fd-isr is there and all the snapshot is working.

i try other defragmentation program and i found out you can't do boot defrag while fd-isr installed. but you can do this in perfect disk.

just a little test....

9. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What is likely to produce better backups and restorations? Would it be better to export and import images using FD-ISR or using Acronis backup and restore. I have only used backup and restore using Acronis, but sometimes images are corrupted or something goes wrong. Which method is more likely to work better, Acronis or FD-ISR backups and restores?

dja2k

10. Peter2150

I think the answer is both. I've used Acronis VP from a Bartpe disk and it hasn't failed yet.

Pete

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Ok how does this sound I'm looking into buying a Notebook USB External HDD 40GB to use to back up my system. My Total HDD size is 149GB and available space is 121GB which sugests that I have 28GB in use with all my software installed etc... So I guess the 40GB USB Drive is sufficient?

12. Peter2150

Hi DVD+R

If you can go it I'd be a bigger drive. More cost effective and will hold you into the future more effectively

Pete

PS Good move you are considering

13. ErikAlbert

Doing a backup of 149gb-harddisk on an external 40gb-harddisk. Is that the plan ?
    What is going to happen when your actual 28gb becomes 80gb or more in the future. Buy another 40gb-harddisk ?
    You can't backup 80gb over two external harddisks of 40gb, they don't work like CD/DVD's.
    Acronis won't ask you to connect another external harddisk, when the first one is full.

Buy this one : "External Seagate 160gb USB 2.0 7200RPM 8MB" or another brand. :)

14. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

15. vhick

vhick Registered Member

to all, may i know sir what files is in your external hdd? it is dedicated in mage backup or they have some files?

thanks sir!:wink:

16. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@vhick
    You got it all right there :D
    The right combo

For me: I am simple "one partition" type with ext USB HD
    (i)keep images on external hd for IFW/BING: update as req.
    (ii) keep FDISR archive on external HD: update 2-3x/wk: v.quick;
    (iii) have also kept archive of fresh install snapshot made with FDISR on external HD.
    (iii) keep some other copies of work stuff docs and photo files on ext HD to reduce snapshot and image files.
    (iv)keep another copy of work critical dbase on small usb drive that is updated daily.

Think that covers me :)
    Read here if you want some info re Terabyte and FDISR
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140271
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=133283
    Regards.

17. vhick

vhick Registered Member

thanks for the guidelines sir! now i invest for an external hdd fo enjoy the full power of fd-isr.:wink:

18. ErikAlbert

Am I reading this well ? After restoring with IFD, the Preboot Screen appears without enabling the Preboot Screen first. I thought that wasn't possible with IFD. o_O

19. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

IFW/IFD doesn't touch the MBR at all, as other tried to explain many times.
    So if the MBR is intact, it will survive any restore by IFW/IFD.

20. vhick

vhick Registered Member

21. Peter2150

This is absolutely correct. I've done many restores this way.

Pete

22. vhick

vhick Registered Member

ok! i just share my experience.

as the expert says....

thanks sir!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.