Any Better Alternatives Than RoboForm?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I have been submitting bug reports to Siber Systems for the past month.

I've personally been dealing with them in bug reports online and by the phone and they are very incompetent at Siber Systems for starters and RoboForm has a lot of bugs in the version 7.0.69 that I'm tired of dealing with.

As far as information is concerned, yes I should of spelled it out better, I would like to get some personal or professional experience about some of these applications out there...

If you want to make some creative comments without a lecture then fine do so, but don't get on the post when I have not been degrading to anyone and start lecturing!

Have some respect and let's knock off the trolling and if you've got a problem next time, take it in a PM!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I think that you are getting what you ask for, people make suggestions based on their personal experience with software.
    I think that LastPass is great and at the same time I can't give you my experience with their customer support, because I had no need to contact them (I call that personal experience too). In general I do report bugs when needed, and I get rewarded for my reports.

If LastPass isn't sound to you, then what is? Something that fits on a USB drive? Which platforms and applications does it need to support?
    Is synchronization important?

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

No special agenda, just looking at everything and anything...

Thanks I'll have a look...

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

6. guest

guest Guest

It's interesting, but LastPass already answered about that in the FAQs as well, more specifically in:
    http://lastpass.com/support_faqs.php#stolen
    http://lastpass.com/support_faqs.php#salt

The Passpack developer Francesco also answered it in Passpack blog:
    http://blog.passpack.com/2010/01/new-passpack-desktop-release/#comment-3068

Furthermore, the famous security researcher Steve Gibson reviewed LastPass and strongly recommends it. His words about LastPass: "'This thing is secure every way you can imagine. And it's simple.":
    http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm
    http://blog.lastpass.com/2010/07/lastpass-gets-green-light-from-security.html

Please read all the links before replying.

7. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

If you worry about storage, Password Scrambler is a solution that does NOT store anything anywhere.

Just out of curiosity, you are not working in a IT position, are you?

8. HAN

HAN Registered Member

To quote from that link
    I normally let things like this to pass because what is the point of discussing it. I can't directly disprove it but just as important, the writer cannot possibly prove his theory. Nevertheless, IMO, the blog is pure FUD!

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Famous security researcher Steve Gibson, LOL, yeah well a bit supposed self proclaimed expert, but of course he has done a lot of good, but putting him on the highest pedestal of security, yeah well, he certainly doesn't deserve that. There's a heck of a lot higher experts out there then Steve...

Oh by the way, here's one real security Expert; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Schneier ;)

The truth is anything is hackable and doable, that's why we always create new ways and change things because of these constant obstacles...

Truth is, nothing is 100% unless you take it off line.

Everything is FUD if you think about it, until it can be proven... ;)

If you have something to ask, then ask it, otherwise with this wording and your question it looks like you are trolling... :(

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I'm using KeePass with KeeFox and KeeForm plugins for Firefox. As long as you typed in the KeePass password, it will automatically fill in user name and password for almost any site. For some sites you may have to hit a hotkey to trigger the auto-fill function. There's a portable version too, but I don't actively use it so not sure about it; unless you can portabilize the FF plugins and use portable FF I doubt you would get the auto-fill benefits. As for encryption and privacy, you have all the standard options. You can set the open workspace (password database) to lock in x minutes, you can set the clipboard to clear in x seconds, and so forth.

fwiw, I also use KeyScrambler plugin for FF (freeware), but I'm not sure if it adds anything to what KeePass does - at least they play nice together.

If someone knows a better solution or an alternative to the KeePass/KeeFox/KeeForm combo that does what it does (the convenient auto-fill functions mainly), but portably and/or for browsers other than FF and IE, then please let me know.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was playing with KeeFox, but because of it's development status I need something more stable, it does look promising, hope it gets mature...

I guess to with KeePass you're just going to need to have all your sites bookmarked to go to and then once you are there, just use Ctrl Alt A to login?

I've gotten use to many of these apps making bookmarks for you in the applications you click and go to the site to login, but don't see how KeePass works like this, since it doesn't integrate into Firefox other then KeeFox to accomplish this.

12. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

didi anybody try keypass by dobysoft ?

13. guest

guest Guest

I find it amazing that you accuse people of trolling, yet you just did this by directing rage against Steve Gibson. Firstly because nobody "put him on the highest pedestal of security", I just linked to his review of LastPass, which was extensive and shows why LastPass is very secure.

If you are going to criticize something, be objective/on-topic and pick Steve Gibson's review of LastPass, not the person of Steve Gibson...

Sincerely, it appears that you have prejudice against LastPass.

If not, then why don't you explain how exactly LastPass is insecure and should not be trusted?

Until now, all you did was try to show an argument with a link to a blog post that was already rebutted and proved wrong by others.

Waiting for logical answers/comments, please refrain to flame/troll.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

First off I'm not trolling because you said ("Furthermore" the famous security researcher), and I just laughed! OK got it? Choose your words better, because FURTHERMORE is a statement meant in many ways, negative and positive! There's a big difference between laughing and trolling, I was only laughing... No one is raging about anything....

NOW can we PLEASE stay on Topic.

I'm not into Cloud Based Proprietary Technology For Security and so are a lot of others too...

NEXT....

THANKS...

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

that doesnt necessarily mean anything... other than u being afraid of it, u have nothing to rationalize this view about lastpass directly

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Your on a security forum with thousands of posts and you want rationalizations...

With a reply like this, you honestly make me think you've only been using a computer a few months, I mean really...

Ok so let's look at it like this, in simple English, nothing is 100%, there is no such thing when you are online in an environment like this! Now that's not gibberish that's a fact you either believe or don't, but it's the truth!

Anything can be compromised and this takes it back to a concept, that because we are not perfect as human beings we therefore can't make something perfect and if you think that's a joke, then show us ONE thing in this WORLD that is PERFECT without a single flaw in it? Guess what you can't everything has imperfections, it's just REALITY!

So what you need a lesson in all this? Come on let's be real here, what are we in 6th grade around here?

So you want to see some proof to some imperfections to online security at what was suppose to be some of the highest levels that was cracked?

Here look;
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126145280820801177.html

Come on get real people anything can be hacked...

Come on look what Kevin showed the world!

There will always be someone better and smarter that comes along that can crack it! That's a FACT!

But guess what then, what's a bigger target, my little one box, or LastPass? So choosing to stay small and out of the light makes for better security too, that is why I personally don't choose to go online for something like this, especially for important online business matters.

So the rational explanation summarized, nothing is perfect and that's a fact!

17. guest

guest Guest

DasFox, there is nothing objective in what you point us to. As a matter of fact, you simply don't understand how LastPass works and don't want to trust in it because of dumb generalized suspections regarding online things.

Just go read all the links I already posted and get more information before polluting this thread with even more nonsense.

18. firzen771

i know nothings perfect, but nothing is saying the online method is any less secure than the methods of password protection ur looking for, in practice at least. i also never said lastpass was perfect, i did say that u wer simply scared of something that ur not comfortable with.

so yes, anything can be hacked, sure, but so can the alternative password protection programs u are looking for so i dont see how ur argument helps, putting a blanket statement about lastpass simply because its online without any justifiable proof is nothing more than superstition

19. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

No one is scared about anything and no one ever said one method was safer then another, everything has it's Pros and Cons.

But one thing that holds true for most hack attempts on anything of worth is it's done on a big scale, where the big pay off is, or the big payload does the most damage, towards bigger targets, meaning LastPass has a greater chance of being hacked then you or I do on our own personal home boxes.

With any Cloud base you always have to worry not only of a remote attack but locally also from Hackers who just can just walk right in and also from bad employees, there are so many scenarios...

Big business, cloud, etc... There are so many other factors that make for holes and it gets down to, well who do you trust with your stuff?

Me I don't trust my stuff with anyone and I'm the geek and Tech that doesn't mess around either in Social Networking and spewing myself all over the web like so many people do exposing themselves to so many risks.

Trust, it's a strange thing Online and look at the lack of it, how easily people give it away...

First wilbertnl started throwing words then you did!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

That was just one stupid link just to make you wonder about all this and you really thing I base everything off of that?

Sheesh that was my bad actually for posting that link which I never should of, but now you call me dumb, you're crossing the line here...

I don't need any lessons here, just have some respect next time and just because I laughed about Steve gave you no right to start jumping on me...

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thread summary...
    Question: Can somone tell me what software I should use?
    Answer: Sure, try this.
    Answer: Or this.
    Answer: Or this.
    Question: LOL! Those programs suck and I know everything. I demand respect! Who do you think I am? How dare you try to answer my question!

22. guest

guest Guest

That link you posted was the only objective criticism of LastPass we all saw until now, and it was already rebutted and proved wrong by others.

Pretty much everything else you are posting regarding this matter are dumb generalized suspections regarding online things. You may like it ot not, but this is the truth.

Agreed 100%.

23. firzen771

hmm, i can agree on one thing, frequency of attacks, sure, i can agree with that, successful attacks tho? not really, successful attacks on home machines happen much more frequently even if the sheer number of attacks on individual home PC's is far less than large scale corporations

24. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well come on now guest is going to ask that you prove this point and not just talk about it aren't you guest?

Honestly I'd like to see statistics on this if you knew of them, because I've been around a lot of consumer computing since 1986 and the most I've seen is just malware episodes, not actual hack ins...

There has been a lot of ScriptKiddie types of attacks over the past 20 years, but from what I saw these were not full fledged crack ins either...

No one is demanding anything, go back and look the posts over, I called LastPass, LastGas and then later on laughed and then people start coming down on me, that's all I'm saying and that was wrong, that's the respect I was talking about...

Forget the stupid link, it seemed to have gone over your head.

You've really got to be joking if you think that was suppose to prove a point and you did, didn't you, because you keep going on over it.

This is not a post about proving internet security, this is about finding an application and now I love how you twist it around, turn it in my face and that I need to explain myself to you.

SO then what about you, who are you that I need to explain myself to, are you some geek, tech, professional, expert of some kind that knows everything that we don't?

What just because LastPass tells us all about the way in which they do business makes it perfect, without flaws?

Are you trying to tell me and everyone here that LastPass offers the PERFECT solution that can never be compromised in any way shape or form because you understand it better than any of us?

And now somewhere along the line you stepped onto the post here and confused me with some newbie thinking just because I was looking for an alternative that I didn't know any of them or know anything about this subject...

Ok so my bad shoot me cause I didn't spell it all for you and because I'm such a noob on a forum like this for the past 4 years, I certainly couldn't of had a clue about any of this...

Good Gosh man get real how stupid do you think people are?

The only thing I did was not spell it all out for you and that you HONESTLY think people aren't capable enough to get online and surf for themselves and look? But then that's not the point either, the POINT is I was just looking for some USER-FEEDBACK and SORRY I didn't spell it out!

Sheesh I know people aren't mind readers BUT did you look over at how long I've been on Wilders to give you an idea of me? So what the heck does any of that mean? Well gee I guess someone that has been on a Security forum this long might have a CLUE? Did you ever stop to THINK that could be a nice way of figuring out the person by their time on a particular forum and post count? Why you think it's there? Cause I'm on a security forum 4 years a COMPLETE TWIT?

Go look at my POST I redid it over.

Next time I'll remember this post with Sir Peter, to give you all the bloody details, or better yet, don't forget me and start treating me like your whipping boy next time.

So enough of the BS because if you're going to sit here on a Security forum and tell me I need to explain it to you that you don't seem to understand how everything can be compromised and that nothing is perfect, then you really need to go learn that for yourself rather then sit here and belittle the intelligence of people that know better, that's the only thing dumb here. I've said it already so look back up and read. I made it plain and simple because there's no need to be technical when you can't grasp the conception of imperfection.

For the Technical aspect of all software, it's called ---> BUGS ;)

25. guest

guest Guest

Big wall of text :argh: !

To summ things up: no, I never said LastPass is perfect. But I've said that it is indeed very secure. I and other users recommended it, you attacked it, was proved wrong and now you refuse to show us objective reasons to not trust in LastPass.

All this talk about your years of experience, IT titles, number of posts in Wilders, etc etc.. I already read all that on my PM inbox and now here but, really, I don't care about who you are or what you do, because I'm not against your person. :blink:

This is not a personal discussion. Therefore, what I care here is about objective arguments. Show your objective arguments against LastPass, your reasons to not trust in this service and stop spreading FUD. :ouch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.