Any AV programs good at removing spyware?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tawd1992, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

I spend alot of time cleaning computers & I'm trying to streamline the process some. Instead of scanning for spyware with Adaware or Microsoft anti-spyware & then doing a separate scan with my favorite av scanner (Escan 4.4.7) I'm wondering if the new Nod32 2.5 beta or Kav 6 prototype would be on par with Adaware for removing spyware. Also, is there a way to run Kav 5 or 6 on a usb flash drive?

2. muf

muf Registered Member

There's currently no AV that can compete at spyware detection with any of the top dedicated antispyware products such as SpySweeper, Counterspy, MS Antispyware, Ad-Aware. The best one is probably Kaspersky while using the extended database. The jury is out on NOD32 2.5. I read that Trendmicro who provide PCCillin have acquired Intermute(Spysubract Pro), so maybe they are planning on integrating Spysubtract Pro into PCCillin.

muf

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

eTrust purchased PestPatrol, so its likely eTrust has good spyware detection (not sure)......

4. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i woulden't rely on antivirus only for removing spyware...

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Not on par at all, most of the spyware detections from AV are just that, detections. It won't effectively remove anything like a real AS program.

6. tawd1992

I was afraid of that. Guess I'll have to keep using Microsoft anti-spyware & Adaware. The only thing I don't like about Microsoft anti-spyware is that you can't install it in safe mode. Sometimes the pc is so bad, it's unusable in normal mode. I had one the other day that was so bad, task manager wouldn't even open up. Thank goodness Adaware installs in safe mode.

7. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Have you tried Spybot Search and Destroy for the PCs that won't boot normally?? I haven't tried it myself in safe mode but it might be worth a try.

8. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I recently sorted out a PC with multiple spyware infestation which had the latest Norton Antivirus installed. NAV was completely up to date and had detected several spyware programs including Gator, Lop, Gain, MyWebSearch and was advising deletion of all detected items. However, when I accepted its advice, it couldn't cope with any of the spyware, giving a "deletion failed" message for each. That behaviour had paniced the PC owner and caused her to call me telling me that her PC was infected with "loads of viruses".

There are a couple of important messages here. The first is that if a program is purchased as an antivirus solution, anything which it detects is labelled as a virus by the unenlightened. Obvious really, but bound to cause much unnecessary confusion and panic. The second is that an antivirus program which is very good at dealing with virus infection is nowhere near capable to deal with spyware which seems much more tenacious than the worst viruses.

On said PC, MS Antispyware dealt with much of the infestation and HijackThis and an educated eye sorted out the rest. It's really "horses for courses" at the moment, and I'd advise everyone to get the best protection for each type of threat rather than trying their luck with suites and multi-purpose apps which never seem quite up to the job when you're really up against it.

That's my 2 cents/4 pence worth...

9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Nicely spoken Ricky, my thoughts exactly ;)...detection is 1, removal is 2 and not all removal of malware is done by the book...and can cause corruption and sluggishness :)

I hate those suites actually ;)

10. tawd1992

Yes, Adaware & Spybot S & D will install in safe mode. I've been using these 2 programs for a few years now.

11. hadi

hadi Guest

They even work without installation . For ex. you can copy their folder from (Program files)to a USB flash or CD and use them to clean another computer.

12. g525432

g525432 Guest

NOD32 will not clean registry keys, it just remove main infected file...

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

False!

NOD32 removes the registry keys created by the infected files...

14. Firecat

As Vampiric Crow said - This statement of yours is not true.

I have a PM from Happy Bytes in which he told me about this. NOD32 does clean the registry keys, startup entries etc. created by the infected files.

15. Re: Any AV programs good at remowoving spyware?

My KAV 5 personal detected and removed serpo/hotoffers adware/browser hijacker which no other antispyware could.

16. Firecat

Re: Any AV programs good at remowoving spyware?

Remove? You mean files as well as reg entries?

Because in my experience, KAV either does a good removal or a bad one (more good than bad though ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.