ANTS 3.0 Update Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by DrSeltsam, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Andreas - Okay, so what do we do now? (Not too used to 'alpha-testing'!)

Do we continue to run the program every day (assuming there're more updates provided)?

How are you keeping track of what everyone's OS is that's using this (to see if there are any OS-related problems)? Or, are you basically waiting to hear from people who have problems?

Any reports from anyone who has actually caught something through use of the alpha? Pete

2. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

There aren't any bugs now, but a few false postives. I am still adding malware ;o).

3. discogail

discogail Security Expert

Andreas.... :-*

I signed up for testing of RC1..I think I did it correctly...... o_O
    If someone would like to sign up now......could you post the proper procedure?
    Is this the one?
    "Ja, ich möchte mich unverbindlich zum kostenlosen ANTS 3.0 Release Candidate 1 und ANTS 3.0 lite Betatest anmelden."

Thanks, Doc......... :)

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Low file count comments?

Also, since all it was checking for was worms - and that took five minutes on a low file count - can you give us some idea of whether the scan time is going to increase greatly once trojans and everything else are added to the DB?

Comparison (from this computer):

Tauscan - checked 83,806 files in 18 min 26 secs
    TDS-3 checked 22,135 files in 14 min
    AVG - checked 34,100 files in 7 min
    The Cleaner - checked 31,658 files in 6 min 46 secs
    NOD32 checked 32,573 files in 6 min 24 secs
    AdAware took 49 secs
    SBS&D took 17 secs

(BTW, I'd really love it if someone would explain why there's such a variation in the amount of files checked by the different programs - especially when they're all set to check C+D drives, all extensions, max heuristics, etc, etc.

Never have understood that. Pete

5. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

>Also, since all it was checking for was worms - and that took five minutes on a low file
    >count - can you give us some idea of whether the scan time is going to increase greatly once
    >trojans and everything else are added to the DB?

Nope. The difference between the time ants needs to scan a file with one signature or with 15.000 is about 5 or 6 ms :eek:). Perhaps it may take 6 or 7 mins than.

>The Cleaner - checked 31,658 files in 6 min 46 secs
    >NOD32 checked 32,573 files in 6 min 24 secs

I think the ANTS engine is as fast as nod32 or the cleaner. If you activate the virus scanner ants will be slower.

>BTW, I'd really love it if someone would explain why there's such a variation in the amount
    >of files checked by the different programs - especially when they're all set to check C+D
    >drives, all extensions, max heuristics, etc, etc.

It differs how the program counts :eek:). Every good engine has something like a file type detection. If a file is uninfectable (*.bmp, *.gif, *.mp3) than good engines will detect that they can't be infected and they will be skipped. ANTS counts all files it scans - even if they were skipped cause they are uninfectable. TDS MIGHT only count files that were really scanned for example :eek:).

6. discogail

discogail Security Expert

So....clicking on Ja, ich möchte mich unverbindlich zum kostenlosen ANTS 3.0 Release Candidate 1 und ANTS 3.0 lite Betatest anmelden."....& providing an email address will effect a notification when RC1 is available.& provide the opportunity to beta test?

7. controler

controler Guest

Disco

I am guessing NOT. From what I can tell there is allready a select few trying out the product. I can however see why allowing too many to beta at the start would cause widespread panic LOL
    There would be too many questions to answer.
    We are trying to be patient here but I am thinking patients is wearing thin for some. ;) ANTS 3.0 is just not ready for beta testing yet.

8. controler

controler Guest

ANTS 3.0 is still giving false possatives in my TEMP IE
    windows folder.
    Sig. file = 20020727.if5

Scanning process memory ...
    Scanning C:\WINDOWS ...
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G30RGLI5\wbk71C5.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CUY4N3J\wbkA184.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CUY4N3J\wbkA2F4.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CUY4N3J\wbkA382.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CUY4N3J\wbk33A0.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3CUY4N3J\wbk4036.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YB9PN9AK\wbk82E0.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YB9PN9AK\wbkB395.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7082.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7091.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7114.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7151.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk71C4.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7200.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7231.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk7255.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G6CSHYXU\wbk8014.TMP - Found: I-Worm.LoveLetter

Scanned processes:   28
    Infected processes:      0
    Scanned files:      7297
    Infected files:      17
    Scan finished.

9. dqa

dqa Registered Member

Yes, I also have two (only two !) false positives flagged in my Pegasus mail folder, both detecting the Loveletter worm.

I have scanned these files with two alternative Virus scanners to check, and got no alert, so it looks pretty sure that the Ants alert is a false positive.

Looking forward very much to the final version, though.

Thank you for your work, Andreas Haak.

Regards,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.