Antiviruskit 2006 updates not completing

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Gez, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Hello
    I recently installed the paid version of G-data's AVK 2006 as an on-demand scanner backing up the real-time Nod32. The program updates install successfully, as do the Kaspersky updates, but the Bitdefender updates always finish incomplete, leaving just over 40 kilobytes still to go.
    Has anyone had this experience? Is it a bug in the program?
    Any other advice with regard to using this program for on-demand scanning would be most appreciated too.
    Thanks.
    Gez

2. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I'm using AVK too, but never have experienced this problem o_O , maybe you should try to contact them.

But do you get a error message? if you didn't modify the update-options, the update window won't close if there's a problem. if it's closed automatically, that means everything worked.

About using it as on-demand, I think you have to set AVKWctl.exe and AVKservice.exe on "manual", AVKproxy.exe on "disabled" (in services console), and AVKtray.exe disabled (in startup), after you have disabled the guard inside the program GUI. But I've never used it that way, so I'm maybe wrong about AVKWctl.exe, could be "disabled" too.

There was a thread here about using AVK on-demand, but I can't find it..

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  3. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Thanks Nic! The problem has been sorted now -- both KAV and BD updates conclude successfully. Maybe it was a problem over the weekend with server?

And thanks for the advice about which services to disable and which ones to set to Manual. It seems to be working well now in conjunction with Nod32.

regards,
    Gez.

4. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Sorry -- for viewers interested in this setup I should add my config:

XP Pro SP2 fully patched
    Nod32 full
    ZA Pro firewall, using firewall and program control only. Antispyware and email protection disabled.
    Process Guard full latest release
    Outlook 2003

I installed the full AVK 2006 with all options enabled then went into program and disabled real-time, email and web scanning. I then went into services and disabled AVKproxy. So far I have AVK Service and AVK monitor set to manual, neither of which starts up till I try something like an update or a manual scan. When I've finished the scan or update I go back into services and stop AVK service. AVK monitor can't be stopped but it doesn't seem to interfere at all.

I removed AVKTray references from the windows\current version\Run sections of the registry.

I will try disabling AVK service but I don't think the update works properly when I do this. I'm reasonably happy just to stop the service after I've updated\scanned as it's only once a week or even less frequently that I need it.

regards,
    Gez.

5. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yes, I wasn't sure for the guard too (but according to what you said, the monitor service is gone when you reboot I guess, so that's OK if you run it only sometimes). Happy to know it's working for you :) .

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.