Antivirus- What is it really supposed to do?.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tobacco, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hollywoodpc

Use whatever setup you want.We don't really care what your using.Just stating that things change and the antivirus landscape has.It was pointed out that viruses aren't the dominant malware right now anyways so your AV's got to be flexible.The setup you listed looks awesome but isn't NOD32 also really good with trojans?.Remember years ago when the weather turned cold, out came the bulky snow tires.Thank god the tire landscape changed too!.

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    I am all for the AV companies expanding their abilities to cover all the threats, spyware, Trojans, worms, viruses and anything else out there that ruins machines. Then go ahead and change name to Anti-Malware or Anti-Threat.

Just be fast with updates, good at catching and cleaning. An all around Malware destroy app. would suite most just fine the only down side is getting a program that good. They are getting better but still not there.

Also reliance on one secuirty app. to cover all bases....hmm what happens if it fails in some fashion. You have nothing to back it up. No I still believe in the multilayer approach in hopes that there is plenty of overlap, plenty of each security app. venturing into others territory. Sounds like a winner to me.

:D As long as they do not misspell it like I just almost did and call it anti-male-ware :ouch: :D

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Excellent point. I totally agree. I just do not know when in the future this will be the case. Wildman said seven right. To many IMHO. 1 AV, 1 AT and finally 1 for spyware realtime is best. Some nonrealtime redundance is o. k. too. Not including router and software firewall. This should be plenty for average everyday user. ;)

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Mercurie my friend .
    @ tobacco : The point is that this has been taken wayyy too far . Every idiot knows that AVs need to detect more than just virii to stay in the game . Problem is , none can do it . i do not care who they are . Since tghat IS a fact , the best thing to do is get an app that specializes . Bottom line is simple . It is exactly what Mercurie said . So why all this about AVs are not just for virii ? Hmmm . NOD is as good at detecting spyware and trojans as they are at detecting virii ? Lol . I do not think so . So , no kiddin . AVs need to detect more than virii . But , they do not do it as well as other apps specializing in a certain field !!! Sheesh

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hollywoodpc

No one here is disputing what you are saying so i don't understand your lastest rant.So i will summarize this thread for you in case you somehow missed the point.Is the layered approach using programs specializing in a certain type of malware the best way to go?.Yes.Are most AV's very good on viruses?.Yes.Are most AV's very good other forms of malware?.No.Are there AV'S that are very good on other forms of malware?.Yes.Does it make more sense to use an AV that is very good on different forms of malware than an AV that is only very good on viruses.Yes.Is there an AV that is better on every form of malware than a stand alone program is with a certain type of malware.No.Are there people who still say an AV can't be held accountable for missing anything but viruses.Yes.In todays market, should an AV be expected to be excellent on viruses and very good with other forms.Yes.Are there AV's that fit this criteria.Yes.Are there AV's that don't fit this criteria.Yes.
    So any further responses from you in this thread would make you, hollywoodpc, the only one taking this way too far!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.