antivirus needed

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mkayemba, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkayemba

mkayemba Registered Member

Hi ..i have a pc that is not connected to the internet which antivirus would you recomend i use ,one where i can download an update and run .im currently using f secure downloading the update always gets cut off.

2. denniz

denniz Registered Member

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

how can you download an update if not connected to the internet?

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Your antivirus program will require regular updates, so not being connected to the internet is a bit of a problem.

Go and download 'CureIt', which is a stand-alone virus cleaner. Put it on your USB and run it on your computer. It will be good for a couple of weeks at a time. To update it, you need to download the program again and run it.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

You can use Kaspersky, download updates from another PC in an archive, and then update your Kaspersky from your PC from the archive.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. 031

031 Registered Member

hi mkayemba , welcome to wilders . As you do not have an active internet connection i would recommend that you use an av which has better heuristic detection capability like avira or nod 32 . Avira has a free version available for personal use . I think this would be enough for you . look here .And you can also update avira manually . from here you can download the latest update file and update your antivirus manually .
    good luck .

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:
    Acording to your description, this would be a good solution

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

This would be even better although you should have mentioned F-Prot and Bitdefender as well :thumb:

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

with no internet, id suggest the hips-type products.

2nd opinions can always come from cureit on a usb stick or something.

10. 031

031 Registered Member

Sorry i forgot about those two . These two also have nice heuristic detection . As far i can remember you need to shut down several services to update bitdefender manually which was a little bit complex for me . Well the manual update procedure of avast is very simple . Look here .

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Let's not start getting into general comparisons here, or test result percentages... The OP asked specifically for an AV that lends itself well to offline (or limited Internet access) updating. That's where the answers need to focus otherwise this becomes just another "which is best?" thread.

12. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

With no internet, I'd just reccommend a HIPS.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

With no internet, wouldn't Sandboxie be a good choice ?

(technically not an AV)

14. denniz

denniz Registered Member

With no internet connection I'd say an anti-virus (even with decent heuristics) are almost useless. So I would go with behavioral detection like Threatfire, Norton Antibot or Mamutu.

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, for a PC not connected to the internet, I recommend some follow-up questions on what not connected really means, the nature of any proposed exposure, and so on. This is particularly true if one feels compelled to raise a solution that's at variance with the original question, which regarded an AV, as has already been noted above.

Blue

16. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Well the way I read the original post is that the poster has at minimum 2 pc's, one with internet connection and one without. If I understand it correctly, the pc with internet is going to be used to update the pc without internet.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if this be the case, he only needs cureit.

free, no installation and effective.

the pc with internet, can simply pass on the 10mb program, whenever they want to booster their signatures on the non-internet pc.

18. mkayemba

mkayemba Registered Member

Ive used the Cure it and so far so good,let me see how far it will go..i guess
    ill have to keep downloading new versions as its update but thanks a bunch for all the advice that u presented to me .

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I must be missing something. If you're not connected to the internet, why do you need an AV except to maybe scan a DVD disk? o_O

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Friends can always stick their USB flash drives in with viruses, load up games etc.

At least with CureIt, you can select to scan an individual folder or drive. Make sure you do that before any foreign unknown USB flash drives are inserted.

DrWeb doesn't seem to receive enough credit for providing something so worthwhile and for free.

21. century

century Registered Member

I am using Antivir Premium in my internet connected PC & Antivir free in another PC which is not connected to the net.
    Antivir Premium updates by itself & I do not poke my nose there.
    Antivir free is set to update manually. Every week I download the relevant files from their website & install the same.
    Both machines are running smoothly at prersent.
    I also use CureIt for 2nd opinion weekly.
    You may try this scheme & then judge for yourself.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You'll benefit more on offline PC if you use something like ThreatFire on it as it has very high detection rate with minimal updates. Compliment it with antivirus that has the highest proactive score (NOD32 or AntiVir).
    This way you can compensate the lack of signature updates slightly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.