Antivirus Manual scan freezing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bladeowl, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bladeowl

bladeowl Registered Member

Hi
    I have just downloaded a trial version of NOD32 antivirus after hearing rave reports about the AV software. Everything appears to work OK. However, when I try a manual scan it stops scanning at various points and justs seem to hang, I cannot stop the scan with the STOP button, and when I press the pause button this also appears to do nothing.

I have tried different settings over a number of days, Ticking/unticking Email, different targets, heuristics , advanced heuristics etc but everytime it fails to complete a scan.

Is this a known problem ?

Certainly at the moment I am not inclined to purchase the commercial version if I can't do a manual scan.

Interstingly, I have also failed to to an online scan using the ESET online scanner, (says I need adminstrative rights but I am the adminstrator )but the Kaspersky online scanner works. You can imagine which product I'm likely to buy ......

Any help from anybody would be much appreciated.

Roger

Details are:-

Nod 32 Antivirus V3.0 3.0.669.0
    Virus database 3454 (20080919)
    Scanner module 1149 (2008091:cool:
    Vista home premium (32 bit)
    Intel Quad core Q6600

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that it's scanning an archive when you're trying to stop the scan? In such case you need to wait a bit until the archive is extracted.

3. bladeowl

Thank you for that fast reply but the answer is no. I can confirm that it stops on different types of file I can recall 2 different ones:
    1. Adobe \adobe bridge cs3\ ols_config.xml
    2. Adobe \adobe bridge cs3\ legal\ el_gr - which is a 64k license HTML doc.

Also what is the explanation for the pause and stop buttons not working ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please check your PM.

5. bladeowl

Having looked at the symtoms of this problem, the manual scan is NOT freezing, it just sits on one file (different files each time) and remains open. I cannot stop the scan or pause the scan, the little green timer is still revolving.

The crashlog which Marcos asked me to download does not capture anything because the scan does not crash.

Can anyone offer any ideas what the problem might be o_O

6. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Try to exclude files and folders from scanning mentioned here.

7. bladeowl

Tried excluding files the files you mentioned but it has made no difference. The scan has once again failed to complete. Interestingly it seems to always stall on a Adobe file this time on a Jpeg file. However I've excluded most of the Adobe files from the scan but its stalled again. (i don't like the idea of having to exclude perfectly legitimate files from a manual scan, its seem to me to defeat the object of doing a scan in the first place).

I still think part of the problem is that I can't PAUSE or STOP the SCAN using the appropriate buttons. The only way to stop the scan is to close down the computer and re-boot.

I'm certainly beginning to lose patience with this NOD32. It looks like the support is not that effective either so I'll probably be trying Kaspersky as an alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.