Antivirus loss the War more and more...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by testsoso, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Common sense and educating yourself on security :D I used no HIPS programs,no sandbox programs,not a thing more,not a thing less.

2. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Why the extra programs? For myself, it's more of being curious just how good more security products behave and at the end of the year,thinking to myself if I actually needed all the extra bloatware.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Depends upon where you live and the crime rate in the city or town you reside in.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Peace of mind is good,but nothing in life is 100% foolproof.

Not home security,no security software,not your retirement plan,the list goes on and on.

5. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

My conclusion:Good habit is very important.If we are lucky to browse some safe website,we can't meet virus.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Some will try to convience you that HIPS or CIS is the 100% thing. But honestly anything like it is more like throwing dices than behavior heuristics engine. HIPS is dumb, it just asks stuff to user and expects the user to decide properly. Where heuristics and behavior analysis always alert based on findings. Which in rare cases can be false, but in pretty much all the other time they are far more correct and when they do alert you, it's most probably really malware.
    Where in HIPS case, most of the time only harmless stuff is popping up and only few are actually malicious actions. I don't know for you but i prefer to have accurate and less often alerts than something that churns out popups like crazy. I have other things to do than answer dumb questions all day long.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

I too don't understand why people are paranoid about their computer and use multiple layered security apps (AV,AS,HIPS.......). They feel that using many security applications make them feel very safe and secure which isn't true.
    The same Trojan will be changed sometimes hourly or daily just to try and fool the scanners. So it's not like there's over million unique pieces of malware. There are many that are variants of the same piece of malware.

8. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

I don't understand why people ignore the fact that the effectiveness of any security solution is dependent on the discipline, preferences, and experience of its user and the tasks performed with the computer.

If I give defensewall and shadow defender to my mother I can guarantee she will get infected faster than if she used AVG security suite.
    Similarly if I were to drop my carefully groomed security toolset and use a single product my risk level would go way up.

Too often these discussions leave the user variable out of the equation.

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

AVs survive because they make money for the vendor, not because they're a reliable defense. Security app vendors aren't going to lose out on those yearly update fees, so they keep AVs at the core of their packages and users keep paying for them. Yes, there are free ones, but they're supported by those who pay for the "pro" versions, often corporate and commercial versions.

Users have several proactive options that can make an AV completely unnecessary.

Sandboxing the attack surfaces.
    Virtual operating systems.
    Reboot to restore applications.
    Default-Deny.
    LUA, DEP, and SRP.

All of these work individually or in combination. All of them can free the user from paying yearly for second rate protection. AV vendors won't offer these options without bundling them to an AV. They don't want to see effective, proactive security apps that can stand on their own become popular.

Prove it to yourself. Make a full system backup, (something you should have anyway) dump that AV and try one of the options I mentioned. Spend a bit of time with it and learn to use it properly. Chances are you'll never look back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.