Antivirus & Linux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by x942, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

I just won a free one-year license for Eset Anti-Virus I don't use windows and a rep told me it can be used for the Linux version.

I know it's not 100% necessaries to use an AV on linux, but is there any reason why I would NOT want to? Will this cause more harm than good? I do have windows boxes on my network but I use AP Isolation to prevent all communication between devices. I have ran Eset in the past and there was no lag or anything so that's no a concern. I just don't want to be opening another attack vector by installing an AV.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I can think of only one reason: you don't want to infect your windows-using friends.

The scenario being that you download some trojan pdf or swf or something and because the exploit doesn't effect you you use it like it's legit. And then you send it off to a Windows friend and they get attacked.

Otherwise, I see no purpose.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

No reason whatsoever. Why install a program you don't need? Would you install Dedoimedo Printer Shredder on your box just because such a program might exist? No. So why would you install an antivirus just because you got one for free. Give it to someone.

P.S. Not needed on Windows either.

P.S.S. Solution for clueless friends is not to have any friends.

Mrk

4. x942

x942 Guest

Well said! I'll just give it away.

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Most major email services use good anti virus scanning for attachments so you don't have to worry about Windows users getting infected. Don't bother with it. Usually there is no real time scanning on Linux even though it can be implemented via daemons, its just un-necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.